Aggie Football Notebook

The Texas A&M football team will return to action against the Kansas State Wildcats Saturday in Manhattan, Kan. The Aggies (5-1, 2-1) are coming off a 31-21 loss to the No. 14 Colorado Buffaloes, while the Wildcats (2-3, 0-3) are looking to get back on the winning track after three consecutive losses. Kansas State lost 38-19 to the Texas Tech Red Raiders in Lubbock last Saturday.
Farris continues racking up the numbers
Junior quarterback Mark Farris completed 14-straight passes in the second half of the Aggies’ loss to the Buffaloes, breaking the previous record of 11 set by Lance Pavlas in 1989 and Corey Pullig in 1995.
With his 334-yard performance against the Buffs, Farris increased his career average to 202 yards per game. No other A&M quarterback ever has posted an above-200 yards-per-game average in his career. In 20 games, Farris has passed for 4,040 yards, making him the sixth quarterback in A&M history to pass for more than 4,000 yards.
Farris also had more than 40 attempts against Colorado, increasing his own record to six games with more than 40 attempts in his career.
Double impact
Sophomore transfer Jamaar Taylor and true freshman Terrence Murphy have become double threats to the opposing team’s secondary this season.
Against Colorado, the pair combined for 20 catches for 292 yards and three touchdowns despite the Aggie loss.
Taylor leads the Aggies with 27 catches on the season, totaling 403 yards. Murphy is second on the team with 312 yards on 18 catches.
Both had no collegiate experience coming into the season but are seeing more playing time due to injuries to two key receivers, Bethel Johnson and Greg Porter.
Murphy’s 164 yards and 10 catches against Colorado set a Aggie freshman receiver record.
The tandem also became only the second pair to tally 100-yard receiving performances in the same game. It was the first time that an Aggie receiver has gone over the century mark in receiving yards this season. The last to do it was Robert Ferguson, who had 105 yards on 8 catches against Oklahoma in 2000.