Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Aggie Girl Scouts aids younger troops

Nicole McKeon said she has been in Girl Scouts since she was 5 years old when her mom was the troop leader. She is still in Girl Scouts because it has helped her stay away from drugs and defy peer pressure. She said she wants to pass along the same lessons to middle school girl scouts.
“In middle school it’s really rough to stay in Girl Scouts just because it’s not the cool thing to do,” said McKeon, Aggie Girl Scout vice president and a senior applied math sciences major. “I just wanted to help out with the middle schoolers that are in it now and keep them involved.”
Aggie Girl Scouts will sell Girl Scout cookies today through Friday at several locations around campus to raise money for the younger Girl Scouts in the Bryan-College Station area.
The Girl Scouts will sell cookies from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Memorial Student Center, Zachry and Wehner.
The cookies come in eight varieties and cost $3 per box.
The Aggie Girl Scouts will keep 40 cents per box and will donate all the profits to the Brownie Girl Scouts of Milam Elementary in Bryan so the girls can afford uniforms and badges, McKeon said.
“They can see on their vest how many badges they’ve earned, and they’re so proud of it,” she said.
McKeon said the group’s goal is to sell 900 boxes of cookies this week, which would give it $360 in profits.
Last year, the Aggie Girl Scouts made $120 from cookie sales, which it donated to the Milam Girl Scouts, McKeon said.
McKeon said the troop in Bryan is an outreach troop, which means that it receives grants from the federal government.
If it makes enough money this year, Aggie Girl Scouts wants to pay for a girl to attend Girl Scout camp, McKeon said.
McKeon said the troop is working to sell more cookies this year so it can help more than one troop.
Onyinyechi Okoro, a sophomore political science major, bought three boxes of cookies at the MSC Monday. She said she looks forward to buying the cookies every year, because it helps the younger children and the money goes to a good cause.
Aggie Girl Scouts member Jillian Jaccar, a sophomore Spanish major, sold cookies at the MSC and has been in Girl Scouts since she was in kindergarten. She said she loves Girl Scouts because it teaches girls about many aspects of life.
Click here to visit the official Girl Scouts of America Web site.