Senior Lamara Distin leaps over the during the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Saturday, June 10, 2023 and Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin, Texas (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
Distin named SEC Outdoor Scholar-Athlete of the Year

It might be time for Lamara Distin to invest in a bigger trophy case for her living room. Texas A&M track and field’s high jump senior...

Aggie Green Fund abstract proposition phase to end Monday

%26%23160%3B

The abstract proposition phase for students hoping to start sustainability projects on campus with money from the Aggie Green Fund will come to a close at 5 p.m. Monday.
“The Aggie Green Fund works by funding initiatives to improve recycling, energy efficiency, renewable energy, transportation and other sustainability programs,” said Brian Jonescu, Aggie Green Fund marketing chair. “We provide grants for projects led by students, faculty and staff members as well as any combinations of these groups.”
Funding for the Aggie Green Fund comes from the environmental service fee included in each student’s fee and tuition for each semester. The fee comes from House Bill 3353, which allows each state university to charge students for an Environmental Services Fee.
“This was approved by a majority of students when it was put up for vote,” Jonescu said. “The fee charged each student is roughly $2.50. It fluctuates but is usually lower than $5. Every year we receive around $275,000 in order to award to projects.”
Last spring the previous committee awarded $206,500 toward projects. Some of the projects seen around campus from last year’s committee include a water bottle filling station in Harrington Tower, Dyson Airblade V Hand Dryers in Evans Library, recycling receptacles in the Chemistry, Reed McDonald and Heldenfelds buildings and equipment purchases for the Howdy Farm.
“We were able to get a tractor, which has allowed us to open up more land, and so our production has gone way up — it also allows us to bring in more volunteers and interns as well,” said Corey Wahl, Howdy Farm head field manager.
The application process is online and requires a student’s Net ID. This submission period requires a short summary of the idea of the project and how it will focus on improving our campus.
“We are looking for any kind of project that will improve sustainability on campus, they do not have to be large and complex ideas,” Jonescu said. “Simple projects like putting recycling bins in buildings around campus or installing more bike racks around campus are ideas that are easy for students to submit.”
With continued involvement and cooperation, sustainability officer Kelly Wellman said she expects AGF to continue as an important source for sustainable change at Texas A&M University.
“From water bottle filling stations and Big Belly exterior recycling bins to a sustainable student-run farm, the Aggie Green Fund has offered seed money for projects which have provided access to recycling, fresh, local food,” Wellman said. “Ultimately, it has created convenient ways to change simple behaviors that have a positive impact on our world.”