Aggie softball splits Saturday contests

As the saying goes, all great things must come to an end. Unfortunately for the 21st ranked Aggies, that includes their 34 home game winning streak as they lost to the Houston Cougars in the first of two games, 3-2.
The Aggies fought their way at an attempt for a comeback as they had the night before against Texas State, but their effort came up just short.
“We gave ourselves opportunities to score runs and we didn’t get that done,” Head Coach Jo Evans said. “At the end of the day, when you get 10 hits and draw some walks, we should be able to score more than two runs and we didn’t get that done.”
A&M had the opportunity for a big inning when sophomore Emily Albus, junior Brittany Walker, and senior Natalie Villarreal all hit singles to load the bases with nobody out. Junior catcher Meagan May hit a sacrifice fly to bring in Albus to put A&M on top. However, after a strike out and a flyout, the Aggies were only able to score the one run.
A&M senior pitcher Lindsey Sisk got into trouble in the third inning when she allowed two hits resulting in two runs for the Houston Cougars. The Cougars would add one more run in the fifth inning to take the 3-1 lead.
The Aggies pulled within one when sophomore Nicole Morgan hit an RBI single bringing in freshman Brittany Clopton.
After Albus singled to left field and advanced to second base, that would be as close as the Aggies would get as the Cougars closed the door on the Aggies’ 34 home game win streak with the 3-2 final.
“It sucked that we couldn’t get that win streak going, but coach talked to us after the game that we needed to get back up and start a new streak,” Dumezich said.
In the nightcap, the Aggies looked to start a new streak as A&M face the 24th ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers with a little more fire in their attitude.
“Coach explained to us [after the first game] about how important that win streak was and how at home we don’t lose,” senior centerfielder Kelsea Orzack said.
But this game would start off with Nebraska putting the pressure early on the Aggies.
After loading the bases up by issuing a walk, hitting a batter and allowing a single to left field, Dumezich overcame the pressure and struck out Nebraska junior Gabby Banda to strand the runners.
The Aggies scored in the bottom of the first inning when junior Brittany Walker singled to left center field and was brought home when May hit a shot into the sky, and with a little help with the wind, the ball fell out of the glove of Nebraska’s second baseman Courtney Breault.
With the score now 2-0 Aggies over Nebraska, the fans were treated with yet another long shot into the windy sky by Dumezich with May on second base. The home run, which was Dumezich’s seventh of the season, sailed and bounced off the left field wall and the Aggies would take a 4-0 lead after four innings.
“I felt good at the plate today. I made some adjustments in the Houston game and it carried over to this game,” Dumezich said.
Dumezich would continue her day by striking out six batters and allowing only one run on three hits to Nebraska.
“I think she’s a great competitor. When she’s on the mound we know we have a chance to win.” Coach Evans said. “She’s an inspirational player to her teammates in the way she plays the game.”
So as the second day action at the A&M Invitational wrapped up, the Aggies split the day with the loss and end of their home winning streak to Houston, and took the nightcap game against No. 24 Nebraska. The Aggies are going into the final day looking to improve and continue playing at a high level.
“I want to see our kids come out fired up,” Coach Evans said.
“We’re not happy dropping a game earlier today. Houston played really well against us but I’d like to see us pick it up a notch.”
The Aggies finish up the A&M Invitational with a rematch against the Houston Cougars Sunday with the game starting at noon.