Aggie soldier killed in Fallujah conflict

Three years ago, Capt. Sean Sims, Class of 1994, held an Aggie Muster ceremony abroad with about 10 other Aggies while stationed in Vilseck, Germany.
This April, when the names of Aggies who have died in the past year are called at Muster, Sims will be on the list. Sims, who was serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom, was shot in the head and died instantly when he and his outfit cleared a building in Fallujah on Saturday.
“We talked about friends at A&M and did a role call for the absent,” said Capt. Patrick Seiber. “I know this year at the campus Muster his name will be called, and I’ll have to answer for him.”
Seiber, who attended Texas A&M with Sims and served with him in Germany, said the Muster with Sims in Germany was just one memorable experience that the close-knit group of Aggies shared.
Will Schrank, assistant commandant for administration, was a member of Corps administration when Sims was a student in the Corps and said Sims was a natural leader.
“I remember him as being someone that was well respected by his peers,” Schrank said. “He was a hard worker, very humble and had a good sense of humor.”
During his time at A&M, Sims was a member of the Corps of Cadets Company L-2, the commanding officer of his outfit his senior year and was a member of the Ross Volunteers. Seiber, who is now the assistant adviser for the Ross Volunteers, said during his meeting with the Ross Volunteers, he realized Sims had been in the same position not long ago.
“He was sitting in the same room 10 years ago,” Seiber said. “I looked at (the Ross Volunteers) and told them ‘You could be Sean Sims,’ and that’s why we must take each day as a gift,” Seiber said.
Seiber said Sims had a promising future and enjoyed his service to his country.
“We look at the price of freedom,” Seiber said. “It costs us our best and brightest.”
Funeral services for Sims will be held at St. Mary’s Catholic Center and are tentatively set for Nov. 24. Father Mike Sis, the pastor of St. Mary’s, said the day of the funeral is not certain because it is dependant upon transfer of the body from military custody.
Sims came from a military family, and after being born in China, moved all over the world. He is survived by his wife, Heidi, Class of 1996, and his 10-month-old son, Colin.