Aggie takes on the B-CS airwaves

Photo Provided Radio personalities Mel Hering (left) and Adam Drake co-hosted the inaugural morning show for Maverick 102.7 on Monday.

College Station welcomed a new voice to the airwaves Monday as recent graduate Mel Hering co-hosted the inaugural morning show for the new radio station Maverick 102.7 from Bryan Broadcasting.
Hering, Class of 2012, co-hosted the morning program with Adam Drake. She said her time at Texas A&M, her deep involvement in her radio classes and her job at a local College Station radio station prepared her for the opportunity.
During her senior year at A&M, Hering took a field trip to Nashville, Tenn., to gain insight on the country music industry. It was there that Hering said she made the connections that enabled her to get an internship with Country Radio Seminar.
“Had I not gotten the opportunity to go on that trip, I can’t honestly say that I would be here,” Hering said. “To be approached to do a morning show a year and a half out of college is unreal.”
Drake said the choice of co-host was an obvious one.
“Mel has worked for everything she has gotten,” Drake said. “When I was asked who I would like to be my co-host for the morning show, she was the first one to pop in my mind.”
When asked about their feelings on the launch, the duo expressed their excitement for their new station as well as their anxiety.
“It’s like opening night for a play,” Drake said. “You have butterflies in your stomach. It’s more like a mixture of excitement and nervousness.”
The Maverick team has entered into a competition-rich environment, as the country radio industry of the Bryan-College Station is booming.
College students make up a large percentage of Maverick’s target demographic. That’s where Hering’s age becomes an asset.
“I am two years out of college and Drake isn’t far behind that,” she said. “It’s going to be what sets us apart and makes us relatable to our audience.”
Texas A&M is not new to the radio world. The College of Agriculture radio program has been around since 2010, and Hering was a member during her time at A&M.
“We try our best to prepare our students and give them as much of real life experience as possible to make them successful after graduation,” said Billy McKim, assistant professor. “Bryan Broadcasting has consistently provided jobs for our radio students after they graduate. There are numerous Aggies employed and hosting for their talk shows.”
Hering’s show can be heard weekdays between 6-10 a.m. on Maverick 102.7.