Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Aggie women drop two of three to open tennis season

The No. 25 Texas A&M women’s tennis team lost two of three matches this weekend in Lexington, Ky., as it began the 2004 season. The Aggies fell to No. 13 Kentucky, 4-3, on Friday, defeated Maryland, 4-3, on Saturday, and fell to No. 9 Duke, 5-2, on Sunday.
In the loss to Kentucky, A&M came out strong by taking the doubles point.
The Aggies then lost four of six singles matches as Kentucky took the overall match. A&M sophomore Nicki Mechem and freshman Anna Lubinsky played well in the loss, combining to win their doubles match over Kentucky’s Kim Coventry and Christine Simpson, 8-5. Mechem and Lubinsky also won the only two singles matches for A&M.
A&M rallied after a slow start against Maryland, but eventually defeated the Terrapins on Lubinsky’s 6-3, 6-1 victory over Maryland senior Chloe Chavardes. After losing the doubles point, the Aggies won four of six singles matches to take the win. Mechem, senior Jessica Roland, and junior Helga Vieria all had key wins in singles matches.
The Aggies fell to Duke to conclude the weekend’s action. A&M lost the doubles point, then four of six singles matches. Roland and Lubinsky earned wins in singles.