Aggieland to welcome the Ringling Bros. to Reed Arena

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
Ringling Bros Circus

The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey will come to College Station and present Built To Amaze! in Reed Arena Thursday through Sunday.
According to a Ringling Bros. press release, the circus, led by Ringmaster Andre McClain, will include the legendary King Charles Troupe, a high-energy and fiery competition of basketball combined with the next generation of unicyclists from New York City and the Dobrovitskiy Troupe to stun audiences with their aerial casting act. Also included is a single trapeze, a crossbow act and the award-winning comedic clown Davis Vassallo.
Leslie Lamkin, General Manager of Reed Arena, said the show doesn’t go unnoticed when it comes to town.
“It has been three years since we have had the Ringling Bros. and we are excited they are here,” Lamkin said. “The animals arrived in Aggieland Sunday night. We know the elephants are here when we receive a large truck delivery of fresh vegetables and sugarcane. The elephants eat over 50 lbs of carrots, a lot of hay, many loafs of bread, sugar cane and watermelon, especially the watermelon popsicles the Circus makes for them.”
Co-founder of the on-campus group Vegetarian/Vegan Aggies and wildlife & fisheries senior Megan Paul said the group plans to protest the circus with signs and information supplied by PETA.
“My belief is that animals are not ours to use for any reason, and that includes entertainment,” Paul said.
Paul believes the university system should stand up for the humane treatment of animals.
“They’ve had a lion die in a crate while waiting to perform in the last year,” Paul said. “The Ringling Bros. have used animals for years and have seem many problems arise. Thankfully they have agreed to phase out elephants, however they still use them, along with other animals, in their shows. My belief is that [The Ringling Bros.] and Texas A&M need to know when they aren’t supported.”
Lampkin said the world famous event will provide entertainment for all that attend, and the university is excited to host the performances.
“We are happy to have the Circus in town and it is definitely fun for all ages,” Lamkin said. “We hope A&M students, faculty, and staff come out and see the famous Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.”
According to the release, the event begins with the All Access Pre-show an hour before show time on the Reed Arena floor. Audience members are invited to personally meet the cast of performers, learn hip-hop dance moves during a dance party, try on the custom costumes for themselves and learn circus skills from the Ringling Bros. Clown Alley.
Tickets for the show start at $15 and students receive a discount price with a student ID.

• Tickets are available by calling 979‐846‐8892

• Circus Ringling Bros

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Ringling Bros Circus

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Ringling Bros Circus

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Ringling Bros Circus

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Ringling Bros Circus

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Ringling Bros Circus

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Ringling Bros Circus

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Ringling Bros Circus

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Ringling Bros Circus Preshow

Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Ringling Bros Circus Preshow

Photo by Valerie Gunchick