Aggieland yearbook documents Texas A&M’s history

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

The Aggieland Yearbook cover was not always maroon. From 1965 onward, it became a standard to have the cover in maroon. 

The Aggieland yearbook is a student-run publication and tradition that has had a hand in recording some of the most memorable events on campus.
The yearbook teaches students the ins and outs of journalism and the process of publishing a book by training students in writing, design, photography, storytelling and publishing. Students have the opportunity to take a hands-on approach with journalistic projects.
The Aggieland provides the student body with a book of impactful events to look back on. Aggieland editor in chief and economics senior Anthony Pangonas said Aggieland’s coverage of important events is meaningful for the student body.
“They can look through the pages and see the different scopes of their campus through traditions, academics, life and even stuff they didn’t even realize was on campus, so we definitely try to hit that goal every time,” Pangonas said. “We try to cover different stuff each year and make sure it’s a memory lookbook for people to come back to.”
The events covered in the Aggieland range from traditions such as Silver Taps, Ring Day and Muster, to once-in-a-lifetime opportunities like the 2016 “Aggies United” rally and protest against white supremacist speaker Richard Spencer. Pangonas said the most memorable event he covered was former first lady Barbara Bush’s funeral.
“We made sure in this upcoming yearbook to have a big spread on Barbara Bush and her passing and how much she meant to the campus,” Pangonas said. “Being able to give her a piece that shows A&M will always remember what she’s done for us and for the country really meant a lot, and it’s just an honor to be able to put something down for her.”
Depending on the role each student has, they have to learn different skills specific to their job. Social media editor and sophomore Elizabeth Liu said she caters her campaigns to each platform, depending on the intended target audience.
“Every single platform is different,” Liu said. “For Facebook, we are definitely trying to target the parents of these college kids, mostly freshman or seniors because they’re either graduating or it’s their first year. Then for Twitter and Instagram, we are trying to target sophomores or juniors who are more involved because they have a bit more knowledge to the campus.”
Photographer and management sophomore Aaron Macias said the experience he received out in the field is nothing that he could have learned from a textbook.
“I’m kind of timid,” Macias said. “And sometimes to get the picture you have to put yourself out there and not be afraid to get the picture that you need.”
For more information and to order a book, visit https://yearbook.tamu.edu/