Aggies’ brings spirit to Iowa

Aggie inspiration has spread to the food industry and made a mark on Sergeant Bluff, Iowa. Former student Cathy Bishop graduated from Texas A&M in 1983 with a bachelor’s degree in industrial distribution. She now owns “Aggies,” a restaurant she named after her beloved University.
“I decided to name the restaurant ‘Aggies’ because I loved being an Aggie, had lots of Aggie stuff and we are in Iowa and tied to agriculture, so we are also Aggies up here,” Bishop said.
Bishop did not go straight into the restaurant business after graduation, but said she knew it was her ultimate goal.
“I was a National Bank Examiner for 10 years after graduating from Texas A&M, but always thought it would be fun to own my own restaurant and bar,” she said. “When my office closed in Colorado Springs, it gave me the opportunity to follow my dream, even though I had never worked in a restaurant before.”
Now that she has reached her goal, she said she is content.
“The best part about my job is my ability to meet new people,” she said. “I have met some of my best, life-long friends because they walked through the front door. Being the owner of a small business in a small community has also given me the opportunity to be involved in my community through the City Council.”
Bishop’s friends said they see her accomplishments and love for her business when they walk into Aggies.
“When you visit her restaurant she always welcomes you with a warm embrace and truly takes an interest in her customers’ lives and families,” said Joan Kent, friend of Bishop’s. “Some people, I think, come to the restaurant just to receive a hug.”
Aggies are known for their pride in their school. Kent said this is obvious in Bishop’s restaurant.
“She has the whole restaurant decorated in Aggie memorabilia,” she said. “Cathy just said the other day how much she loved her college experience. I’ve accompanied her to several games when Texas A&M has played either Nebraska or Iowa State. Her pride beams, and she always finds a group of fellow Aggies to tailgate with pregame. Cathy has pictures of the traditional bonfire and several pennants and flags sporting the Texas A&M logo.”
Bishop’s mother, Sue Miller, said the Aggie stuff is great, but the food is a specialty.
“Everything at ‘Aggies’ is made from scratch,” she said. “I love so many things there. I loved her barbecue when she first opened because we had no barbecue in the area. Now I enjoy all of her 15 kinds of soups, chicken fried chicken, pork loin sandwich, Chinese chicken salad and her cluck salad.”
Kent agreed and said she has one particular favorite despite the many choices on the menu.
“I enjoy the smoked baby back ribs, but really anything smoked is great,” she said. “It’s hard to select one thing I like because everything is really good. I haven’t had one item that I wouldn’t order again.”
Kent said Bishop also organizes an athletic event and fundraiser for the community.
“The second Saturday of July for the past eight years, Cathy has put together a fundraiser for the local volunteer fire department,” she said. “The ‘Aggies’ poker run has over 100 bike riders that travel a route through the Loess Hills of Iowa and return to ‘Aggies’ for a barbecue dinner, two bands and a street dance. Last year, over 800 people attended the dance. Cathy has raised over $60,000 for the Sergeant Bluff fire department.”
Miller said Bishop’s catering business has taken off.
“Every day she has catering at doctor offices and businesses in a 60-mile radius,” she said. “She does weddings, receptions, prenuptials, baptisms – you name it, she does it. She is very accomplished and I think you can tell that I am very proud of her. We knew this would be a hard business for her and tried talking her out of it for three years, but she works very hard and has made it work. I enjoy helping her whenever she needs it.”
The people in Bishop’s life said they are privileged to be a part of her life and business.
“This woman has truly left her mark on Sergeant Bluff, Iowa and I’m so proud of her,” Kent said.