Aggies celebrate retiring mascot’s time at A&M

Reveilles+retirement
Photo by Vanessa Pena
Reveille’s retirement

Aggies gathered at the Clayton Williams Jr. Alumni Center Wednesday to bid farewell to Reveille VIII with a celebration of the mascot’s service to A&M.

Reveille VIII, who will officially retire at Final Review May 9, has had an impact on the student body since she arrived at A&M, said Kyle Kelly, outgoing student body president.

“It’s unbelievable to see,” Kelly said. “Reveille attracts a lot of attention and she’s a great representation of A&M — like being loyal — and she has had a great impact on the campus in a lot of ways.”

Kelly said Reveille VIII’s service with A&M has taken a physical toll because of the nature of the time-intensive commitment.

“[Reveille VIII] served A&M well for seven years,” said Kelly. “A lot has happened in those seven years here. Take, for example, I read in The Battalion she does on average 12 events a week, and that’s extensive.”

Ryan Kreider, outgoing mascot corporal, said spending the entire year with Reveille VIII has personally impacted his life in ways others wouldn’t expect.

“The time I’ve spent with her has been special,” Kreider said. “I’ve enjoyed going to football games and events with her, but none of it compares to spending time with Rev and seeing her as a dog, because that surprises people. It even surprised me, for example, when I first saw her chase her first squirrel.”

Although Reveille VIII and the handler will pass on their duties, their time together is not over, Kreider said.

“Look on to next year — both of us are retiring, but it’s still good,” Kreider said. “She’s only across the street from here, I’ll still be able to go see her and I’ll probably make it a study room over there at the Stevenson Center.”

Incoming student body president Joseph Benigno said the character of Reveille VIII and the mascots before her contribute to their legacy.

“She serves A&M,” Benigno said. “She serves as the First Lady for Texas A&M, and shows really what Texas A&M is all about, the history and tradition — all the things we take so seriously here.”

Benigno said the attitude the love, loyalty and respect the student body shows for Reveille is important.

“It’s what all Aggies should show to one another,” said Benigno.

As the time Reveille VIII has spent shaping and impacting A&M comes to an end, Kreider said it’s a bittersweet time.

“We have new mascot on campus and she and her handler are a great team,” said Kreider. “It is tough to see Reveille VIII go and not be constantly around her anymore. The commitment took its toll, but it’s been a blessing and an honor to be with her this year.”