Aggies give Valentine’s Day advice

%26%23160%3B

For those of you who might identify with a Valentine’s Day disaster, the experts are reaching out with advice. The essential piece to a great Valentine’s Day is the company. But how does one search through the 40,000 students to find that perfect someone? Sociologist Paul Eastwick has done extensive research on what makes a perfect match. He explains people have two preferences, an ideal preference and an abstract preference. While one might say they want certain things in a partner, who they actually choose to date might not posses those qualities.
“You shift around your definition of what traits are, to fit the person,” Eastwick said.”In relationships, ideals do predict things.”
The most important thing to remember when choosing your Valentine is don’t settle for someone who is lacking what you are looking for in a partner.
With the perfect person to spend your night with, the next conundrum that stumps most hopeless romantics is the gift. The classics are flowers, candy and jewelry. Marketing professor and director of The Center for Retailing Studies offered gift ideas. Her list included a decorative letter box, a trip together or a gift with photos from some of your favorite memories. The running theme in unique gift giving is personalization.
A way to personalize the cliché gift of a bouquet is to give flowers that are long lasting.
“Instead of buying a bouquet, go with a potted rose,” said Brent Pemberton, professor in the department of Texas AgriLife research. Potted flowers are reasonably priced and can be enjoyed for at least a few weeks. Andrew Millar, a freshman political science major said his ideal gift shows that the giver knows him well.
“My perfect Valentine’s Day gift would be a Whataburger gift card,” he said. “It takes more thought than a cliché gift of candy or a card.
While most girls might find a fast food gift card to be less than romantic, it is the personalization of the gift that makes it ideal.
“My ideal Valentine’s gift would be something homemade. The thought and creativity is what counts for me,” said Amber Cassady, a sophomore communication major.
The experts and the Aggies agree. The most important thing to remember this Valentine’s Day, is know what you want, know what your partner wants, and go for it. Don’t settle for a date that doesn’t fit your ideals, and don’t feel the need to stick to the Valentine’s Day norms. Make it your own and you won’t be disappointed.