Aggies lose two of three to Sooners over weekend

The No. 16 University of Oklahoma Sooners took two of three games from the Texas A&M Aggies at Olsen Field over the weekend. Despite stellar pitching performances from the A&M starters, the Sooners managed to hold the Aggie offense to only six runs over the three-game home stand.
“(The Oklahoma pitchers) stopped a pretty hot offense in its tracks this weekend, the past seven, eight, nine games we’ve been going pretty well offensively and sometimes you’ve just got to tip your cap to a pitcher,” Aggie head coach Rob Childress said.
On Friday night, Aggie starting pitcher Jason Meyer carried a no-hitter into the ninth inning, but it was broken by Sooner right fielder Chuckie Caufield, who lined a single to left. Meyer ended up pitching a complete game one hitter, while striking out six and walking three.
“I thought Jason Meyer was outstanding tonight. It was exactly what we needed, especially against a good team like Oklahoma. We are at the point where every game we play is important and we have to keep fighting, scratching and clawing,” Childress said.
Saturday night proved to be another pitchers duel, as neither starter surrendered a run until the 11th inning. Texas A&M starter Austin Creps threw 10 innings of shutout ball while giving up five hits but ended up not factoring in the decision. Reliever Chance Corgan gave up one run during the 11th inning, when Kody Kaiser doubled in Chuckie Caufield. Oklahoma starting pitcher Steven Guerra allowed one hit in eight innings of shutout ball, while striking out five and walking one.
“(Guerra) put together a tremendous effort tonight in front of a hostile crowd,” Oklahoma head coach Sunny Golloway said. “He had great command of his pitches and his emotions to battle their hurler pitch-for-pitch.”
Sunday the Sooners topped the Aggies 6-3 to go to 24-10 (5-4). With the loss, the Aggies stand at 19-16 overall, 3-9 in conference.
“We made big plays in the outfield and in the infield this series, but we played some pretty good pitchers this weekend. It was big to get a win (on Friday) but we need to find a way to play better in conference,” Meyer said.