Aggies to fund house in Nicaragua

Courtesy

Aggies can go to www.projectsamuel.org/donate until June 7th to make a donation 

Ags for Orphans, a nonprofit student organization at A&M, has partnered with Project Samuel to fund the program’s first staff house in Nicaragua.
Amanda Poole,‘10, director of community relations for Project Samuel, said Project Samuel aims to help children through education and job skills training to prepare them for a better future.
Both the Project Samuel and AFO organizations work to provide basic necessities to “at risk” and poverty stricken children. Poole said the staff house, which is similar to an efficiency apartment, will house program staff while in Nicaragua.
According to a Project Samuel press release, the program is a part of the Relationship for Christ Ministries and works to provide discipleship and education to children in need.
“When I look at these children, I see future engineers, pastors, teachers, journalists, artists, etc.,” said RFCM President Timothy Vowell in the press release. “These are children simply waiting to have their stories written. To change the world, you must first change a generation.”
According to the release, the staff house is located within the community of Guanacastillo, Nicaragua, and will be dedicated to AFO and the Aggie family upon completion. Poole said AFO will match up to $10,000 for the building.
“Ags for Orphans said they would donate half, and we are raising the other half with donations, hopefully through students and former Ags.” Poole said.
AFO Founder Matt Hemberger, ‘04, said providing funds to Project Samuel is an opportunity to extend the hand of the Aggie family.
“Project Samuel is really in its infancy, and pairing with them is an opportunity to work hand in hand to aid orphans and other children in need,” Hemberger said. “Project Samuel will help rescue these children and provide them basic necessities and job training.”
Poole said the general public is often unaware of the circumstances some children face everyday.
“A lot of people do not know or do not like to think about how there are 22,500 children who die everyday of preventable causes,” Poole said.
Hemberger said AFO and Project Samuel volunteers have an opportunity to impact the lives of suffering children.
“We are able to go to some of the darkest parts of the world and rescue these children,” Hemberger said. “We are able to place ourselves in these children’s lives and ensure them a better future.”
Poole said that as a former student, she hopes the Aggie spirit of giving will be extended to Project Samuel and AFO.
“Aggies are seeped in this culture of giving back, and we are very philanthropic, so we hope to get that spirit plugged into such a good cause,” Poole said.
Poole said students can donate to the matching funds campaign and have the opportunity to say they made a difference.
“Students can recognize, ‘This is a massive problem and there’s something I can do to change it; I can bring hope,’” Poole said.
Aggies can donate to the Ags for Orphans/Project Samuel matching funds campaign at www.projectsamuel.org/donate until June 7.