Ags open Big 12 play with win

The Texas A&M volleyball team recorded a come-from-behind victory over the Missouri Tigers Saturday.
The Aggies (8-1, 1-0 in Big 12) handed the Tigers their first loss of the season, 30-28, 27-30, 23-30, 30-23, 15-13.
Freshman middle blocker Melissa Munsch, one of five Aggies to hit the double-digit mark in kills, posted a match-high 20 kills.
“To be on the road and win against one of the top teams in the Big 12 is huge for our program,” said A&M head volleyball coach Laurie Corbelli. “Both teams played great defense, and our block took a big step tonight.”
The Tigers led the decisive fifth game 12-10, but A&M ran off four straight points and won the game and the match.

Soccer finishes 1-1 at Husky Invitational

No. 16 A&M will continue Big 12 play Wednesday when it hosts Baylor.
A goal in the 87th minute by freshman forward Linsey Johnson gave the No. 10 Texas A&M soccer team a 1-0 win over No. 16 Washington Saturday night at the Husky ike Invitational.
The Aggies (3-2) dropped a 2-1 decision to No. 5 Portland Friday.
Johnson scored both of A&M’s goals at the tournament, and has scored a goal in each of A&M’s games this season.
Saturday’s 1-0 win gave sophomore goalkeeper Esther Thompson her first shutout of the season.
“I cannot stress enough how huge this win is for us,” said head soccer coach G. Guerrieri. “This is a good confidence booster heading into the start of the conference season.”
A&M outshot the Huskies 9-2 in the second half and did not allow a shot in the last 30 minutes of the match.
Junior midfielder Jessica Martin, Johnson and Thompson earned spots on the All-Tournament team.

Aggies finish 14th in season opener

The Texas A&M men’s golf team finished 14th at the 47th William H. Tucker Intercollegiate Tournament over the weekend. The tournament was the Ags’ season opener.
Junior Dwayne Morley led the Aggies with rounds of 74-74-75=223, good enough to tie for 37th. Sophomore Stephen Reed finished one shot behind Morley, carding a 73-76-75=224.
No. 19 New Mexico won the tournament with rounds of 278-294-287=859. A&M finished with 293-309-302=904.
The Aggies will be back into action on Oct. 8-9 at the Red River Classic in Dallas.