A&M announces McAllen expansion

The A&M System announced a new “teaching facility” to open in McAllen in 2017.

The news was announced at a Tuesday meeting in McAllen, Texas, where McAllen Mayor Jim Darling, Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp, University President Michael K. Young and Hidalgo County Judge Ramon Garcia signed a letter of intent to create the teaching facility on the north side of McAllen.

According to the agreement, A&M’s intends to pay “the largest portion toward construction of the teaching facility.” The city of McAllen has agreed to pitch in $10 million toward the construction of the facility and an additional $8 million towards utilities and infrastructure.

According to a City of McAllen press release, the facility will be built on roughly 100 acres of land. Courses taught at the facility will be instructed by Texas A&M faculty, and graduates of the A&M extension will receive an Aggie ring.

The same press release said A&M will work to provide various programs, including engineering technology, biomedical sciences, and agriculture and life sciences.
The goal is to have a starting class of 100 students in 2017, according to the press release. Over five years, the university is expected to expand to 750 students.  
“We are excited to be exploring this opportunity in McAllen and we look forward to expanding Texas A&M’s presence here,” said Chancellor John Sharp in another press release. “We hope to establish first a teaching center and ultimately a branch campus that will provide students an outstanding option for higher education in the Valley.”