A&M awards US congressman for research advocacy

Texas A&M, as part of the Science Coalition, presented the Champion of Science Award on Tuesday to Rep. John Culberson in recognition of his commitment to funding and sponsoring bills for scientific research.
Joe Fowler, president of Stress Engineering Inc. and Class of 1968, hosted the event, which took place near the Stress facility in Houston.
Fowler said scientific funding has two main effects on education. The funding affects scientific research itself, which allows research to then have a positive impact on the economy and country.
“Even more directly, the funding helps students that are being trained during research,” Fowler said. “The people from A&M that are in science graduate programs go on to be leaders in many industries. The education is very important because the training prepares them to be the next generation of the workforce.”
In an email statement, Culberson said continuing advancements in science and technology are the core of economic growth and dynamism in the country.
“Maintaining federal funding for scientific research is one of my highest priorities in my role on the House Appropriations Committee,” Culberson said in the statement. “Today’s students need to know that research dollars will be there for them so that they can continue their important work after they graduate.”
Fowler, who majored in mechanical engineering while at A&M, said the research he did in school gave him the knowledge he needs at Stress. People like Culberson who help facilitate federal funds to research are essential, Fowler said.
“One of the main supporters of research at A&M is the National Science Foundation,” Fowler said. “[Culberson] is instrumental in funding that and many other agencies.”