A&M baseball team shaves heads for cancer research

Players Cody Whiting and Jonathan Moroney get their heads shaved Saturday morning to support cancer patients.
Timothy Lai — THE BATTALION
Players Cody Whiting and Jonathan Moroney get their heads shaved Saturday morning to support cancer patients. Timothy Lai — THE BATTALION

Members of the baseball team paired up with the Vs. Cancer Foundation to raise money for childhood cancer research and showed their support for the cause by shaving their heads prior to first pitch at the third annual Brazos County A&M Club Lead Off Saturday morning.
“In the time it takes to play one inning of baseball, five kids will be diagnosed with cancer,”said Michael Hardy, president-elect of the Brazos County A&M Club. “Chase Jones, who was a [University of North Carolina] baseball player, started this foundation about two to three years ago, raised over $1.4 million, and half the money always stays within the community. We are partnered with MD Anderson and it’s just a really great event.”
Jones, CEO and founder of Vs. Cancer Foundation, was an 18-year-old freshman at the University of North Carolina when he was diagnosed with stage IV brain cancer, but has been cancer-free for eight years .
Jones said he reached out to head coach Rob Childress on a whim and it all took off from there.
“It was kind of a pipe dream, honestly,” Jones said. “I’m from North Carolina, played baseball at UNC but knew the legacy of A&M and pretty much shot an email, phone call and a prayer to coach Childress and he responded. He embraced the idea and obviously the players embraced the idea because we’ve raised over $17,000 to date.”
Jones said the money raised would be split, with half of the proceeds going to National Child Cancer Research and the other half to MD Anderson Cancer Center.
“Within the Cancer Center, we’re funding things in pediatric oncology that are going to help kids just be kids while they go through treatment,” Jones said. “Like Nintendo Wiis in kids rooms, just things for kids to feel better while they go through treatment.”
Childress said the decision to pair with Vs. Cancer Foundation was an easy one.
“We were approached by Chase and just felt that when anyone gives you the opportunity to help beat childhood cancer, it’s an opportunity you can’t pass up,” Childress said. “And Chase, you know, being a former baseball player at a great program like North Carolina, and seeing his fight and his courage — it was something that was easy to grab ahold of.”
Assistant coach Justin Seely said the most rewarding part of this event was knowing the team is helping make a difference.
“Our guys have a lot of the best of what goes on in college athletics,” Seely said. “It’s nice being able to give back to people that are not maybe having as easy a time as some of our guys are having, or maybe some of our guys are having that go on in their families. It’s just a great way to respond and help out. That’s been the best part of it.”
Baseball player and agricultural leadership and development sophomore Lee May Gonzalez said it is great seeing the outpouring of support from the fans and community.
“I came from a junior college last year where there weren’t many fans,” Gonzalez said. “Just to see this many people out at an event before the season even starts is really cool.”