A&M changes event policy in response to Richard Spencer visit last December

Richard+Spencer
Photo by Photo by Brian Okosun
Richard Spencer

Texas A&M has changed its official policy on event hosting after white supremacist Richard Spencer’s controversial speech at the MSC on Dec. 6 sparked protests and debates throughout the A&M campus and community.
Under the new policy, external clients must secure a sponsorship from a recognized Texas A&M student organization, academic or administrative unit or from a member of the A&M System before they are permitted to submit a request for use of an on-campus space.
By sponsoring an external client, the organization will also be required to attend that client’s event as well as assume responsibility for unpaid costs or property damage associated with the event.
University spokeswoman Amy Smith said the policy changes arose out of a concern that future events in the same vein as Spencer’s could lead to misconceptions about the views of A&M faculty and students.
“As one of the stewards for protecting and enhancing the brand, this is particularly troubling to me as the influx of these outside groups may connote to your viewers an environment of acceptance by our campus when none are actually our students or faculty,” Smith told CNN.
According to Smith, the decision to require sponsorship from an A&M-affiliated entity reflects a desire to avoid potentially harmful disruptions.
“We are trying to protect the integrity of our university, the focus of our students, all while maintaining the tenets of freedom of expression and ensuring that we keep students and others out of way of harm,” Smith said.