A&M downs Arizona 7-2, advances to Sweet 16

No. 5 Texas A&M had their largest offensive explosion of the season, scoring five first half goals on the way to a 7-2 victory over the Arizona Wildcats to advance to the Sweet 16.
Annie Kunz put A&M ahead 1-0 in the 14th minute of play and the Aggie squad had no intentions of looking back. Kelley Monogue put in back-to-back goals in the 17th and 19th minute of play to increase the lead to 3-0.
With the victory, the Aggies improve to 20-2-2.
Allie Bailey joined in on the scoring in the 31st minute of the contest, followed by putting her second goal in at minute 42.
The Aggies headed into intermission with a 5-0 lead over Arizona, a team they had not seen since September fifth when the squads played to a 2-2 tie in double overtime.
The second half featured even more scoring for Texas A&M. Shea Groom scored her 16th goal of the season , needing just under two minutes to put the Aggies ahead 6-0.
Alexandra Doller was assisted by Jaden Degracie on a Wildcat goal to bring the score to 6-1. It would be the first of two goals in the second half for the Wildcats, who were eliminated from tournament play with the loss. Hayley Estopare put in the other goal for Arizona in minute 64.
Bianca Brinson reached double digits for goals in minute 57, sending the ball past Wildcat goalkeeper Gabby Kaufman for her tenth of the season.
A&M held a 24-17 shot advantage for the match as well as a 15-8 advantage in shots on goal over Arizona. Aggie goalkeeper Jordan Day recorded six saves in the contest while fellow keeper Kaufman had eight saves for the Wildcats.
Groom recorded two assists in the contest. Brinson, Meghan Streight, Karlie Mueller and Leigh Edwards recorded assists as well.
With the victory, Texas A&M advances to the Sweet 16 and is one step closer to a National Championship. The next game will be played Sunday at 1:30 against Notre Dame, who defeated Texas earlier in the day to advance. The contest will be hosted at Ellis Field.