Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

A&M facility to prepare against influenza pandemic

The Texas A&M University System announced it will join a pharmaceutical company to enhance preparedness for pandemic influenza.
The Texas A&M University System and GlaxoSmithKline, GSK, announced Wednesday the approval of the establishment of a $91 million influenza-vaccines manufacturing facility as the anchor of its Center for Innovation in Advanced Development and Manufacturing, CIADM.
In a ceremony at the State Capitol in Austin including Gov. Rick Perry and A&M System Chancellor John Sharp the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services approval of the partnership was announced.
The Texas A&M Center, anchored by this facility, is expected to bring more than $41 billion in expenditures within the State of Texas over the next 25 years, and will add more than 6,800 direct and related jobs to Texas, Perry said in a System press release.
One of three similar disease prevention centers in the U.S., the A&M Center is at the vanguard of U.S. pandemic-preparedness efforts, the System press release stated. Once constructed and operational, the centers influenza manufacturing facility will be able to supply 50 million doses of pandemic influenza vaccine within four months of an outbreak.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services established the center in June to enhance the nations emergency preparedness against emerging infectious diseases, including pandemic influenza, and chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear threats.
GSK produces 30 vaccines worldwide and the company provided more than 20 million flu shots for the U.S. market in 2012.
In Texas A&M we have found a partner with a rich tradition of service, and with pioneering technologies that will benefit the entire pharmaceutical industry in making vaccines available and accessible to all in need, GSK senior vice president Antoon Loomans said.
Jennifer Keith, staff reporter