Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Texas A&M DL McKinnley Jackson (3), DB Josh DeBerry, DL Fadil Diggs (10) celebrae stopping the ball during a game vs. New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Kyle Field.
McKinnley Jackson taken 97th in third round by Cincinnati Bengals
Andrew Paredes, Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

Texas A&M senior DL McKinnley Jackson is saying goodbye to College Station and heading to the Queen City as he was drafted by the Cincinnati...

Texas A&M INF Ted Burton (27) hits a home run during A&Ms game against Georgia on Friday, April 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Bye bye, baseballs
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

A&M Faculty Senate discusses recent closing of Qatar campus

A&M-Qatar senators join meeting to share their stories
Screenshot of faculty senate meeting on Monday, Feb. 12, 2024.

Following the announcement of Texas A&M-Qatar’s future closure, the A&M Faculty Senate met with A&M-Qatar senators to share their disappointment. 

On Feb. 8, the A&M Board of Regents voted to close A&M’s branch campus in Qatar by 2028. The closure will be a four-year process to allow current students to finish their degrees. 

Qatar campus Dean and COO Cesar Malave spoke with the Faculty Senate on Monday, Feb. 12 meeting regarding the Board of Regents’ decision.

“Like most of you, I am very disappointed by the decision of the Board of Regents,” Malave said. “But at this point, I have to look at the future and how we are going to continue to support our students.”

Malave said even though this decision was disheartening, the campus looks to support students throughout the next four years and help them finish their degrees with the same academic standards. However, Malave voiced concerns about how the transition would affect current faculty, staff and students, since many faculty gave up their jobs in College Station to go to Qatar.

“People are anxious, people are upset, but I will be there and listening to all of them,” Malave said. “I am also upset … I feel responsible and I have to make sure this is a fair decision. That we continue to deliver a top education and that we take care of our faculty and we take care of our staff.”

Malave ended his presentation by asking faculty members not to disconnect from the Qatar campus and its current staff.

“We have four years and those of you have been helping me and you know this,” Malave said. “The fact that we only have four more years … keep helping us and our students.”

A&M Qatar faculty senators gave prepared presentations about their own opinions and spoke for the students and other faculty members of the Qatar campus.

United States history professor Brittany Bounds said this decision was an emotional rollercoaster for herself and all of the other faculty at the Qatar campus.

“We are devastated,” Bounds said. “We have endured waves of COVID[-19], reorganization under the last president that stripped us of the prestige we have worked so hard for, and now the ultimate insult in closing down our campus. The students have checked in on the faculty and staff to make sure we are OK. 

“In classrooms and hallways, they have voiced how sad, angered and betrayed they feel,” Bounds said. “They are afraid they won’t be able to graduate, won’t have the true college experience with the skeleton crew in their last years and, most importantly, that their degree will be devalued and worthless on the job market.”

Bounds said the Qatar campus’ research had made many advancements in the last few years, yet the successful programs were being shut down without asking the students or faculty for their opinions.

“Many institutions would make great sacrifices to be here,” Bounds said. “Sadly, [A&M]’s stake in this enterprise is being thrown away for no clear gain and at a great cost to the Aggie family of students, staff and faculty. We have worked for years to become the leader in the multi-university initiative across the Qatar Foundation working with other universities to collaborate, network and educate students from other peer universities.”

Bounds said this decision could greatly impact the current staff who are currently living and working in Qatar if they end up being let go with little time to move. 

“It is impossible to leave Qatar in 30 days, selling our car, wrapping up bank accounts and ending housing contracts and repatriation are all long processes,” Bounds said. “… But many, if most, don’t want to leave here … In contrast to the rumors and misperceptions of this country, Qatar has been welcoming, hospitable, extremely safe, prosperous and has offered us opportunities not available in the U.S.”

Another Qatar campus faculty senator, engineering professor Mohammad Albakri, said he had the same feelings of disappointment that Bounds expressed. 

“I must express my disappointment and deep concerns regarding the decision to close our Qatar campus by 2028,” Albakri said. “It is unfair to let unfounded allegations go unchallenged, especially when they affect the livelihoods and future of countless individuals.”

Albkari said he was especially concerned with the nature of the town hall that was held on Sunday, which was an open-forum for students and faculty of the Qatar and College Station campuses to express their opinions on the Board of Regents decision. 

“The town hall meeting held on Sunday was meant to serve as a platform for discussion and the exchange of ideas, however, it fell short of this goal — resembling more of a one-way broadcast than a collaborative dialogue,” Albakri said. 

In the future, Albakri said the university and the Board of Regents needed to provide more transparency in the decision-making process for the decision to end the Qatar campus partnership.

“It is essential that our community feels heard and valued for ample opportunities for interaction and feedback,” Albakri said. “… By fostering an environment of open dialogue, the voices of all stakeholders are considered and that decisions are made with the best interest of our community in mind. Students, staff and faculty deserve a voice in shaping the future of our academic community.”

After Dean Malave and faculty senators Albakri and Bounds finished speaking, there were opportunities for questions to be fielded to them and to A&M Provost Alan Sams, who was also present.

First, Faculty Senate Speaker and professor Tracy Hammond said it would be a possibility if the Qatar Foundation would ask A&M to leave before the end of the four years, since it was a two-sided contract.

Malave said this would not happen.

“No, we need to finish our students,” Malave said. “This is part of our contract with the Qatar Foundation … the preliminary conversation with [President of Higher Education at Qatar Foundation] Francisco Marmolejo, there is no desire to say ‘Okay, leave now.’ We will have a good transition.”

Engineering professor Jorge Alvarado asked if the Qatar Foundation and the faculty of the Qatar campus had known that the Board of Regents was going to end the flagship campus at their recent meeting.

“The Qatar Foundation was blindsided and they didn’t know anything about this ‘till the last minute,” Alvarado said. “There were no discussions with them, and we decided to pull the plug on them after 20-plus years and we still don’t know why … Can someone explain that to me, are we going to do that to other potential partners in the future?”

Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs and engineering professor N.K. Anand said the Qatar Foundation had some previous knowledge of the situation.

“I don’t know the reason,” Anand said. “But they [Qatar Foundation] were briefed by the President in Washington D.C., approximately one month back, that this is going to be discussed at the Board of Regents.”

Finally, Alvarado asked if there were any plans by the Board of Regents or the A&M system to open another international campus.

“I don’t know of any plans to do that,” Provost Sams said.

After this discussion, the Faculty Senate meeting came to an end after other short announcements. However, some faculty senators said they were hoping to invite the Board of Regents to come to their next meeting to discuss their reasons for closing the Qatar campus. 

Currently, no new information has been provided by the Board of Regents or the A&M System on the decision. 

“We have worked really, really hard,”  Malave said. “2024 was planning to be an outstanding year … We need to continue to provide a high-quality education to our students … [and have] a plan soon on what we are going to do with the staffing, with the faculty. I am committed.”

View Comments (1)