A&M official named director of infectious disease task force

Gov. Rick Perry announced Monday that Brett Giroir, vice president and CEO of the Texas A&M Health Science Center, will be director of the newly formed Texas Task Force on Infectious Disease Preparedness and Response.
Giroir sent an email to Health Science Center faculty and staff Monday announcing the decision.
“We live in an interconnected world in which a public health threat anywhere will soon become a threat everywhere,” Giroir said.
With an Ebola patient in Dallas, Gov. Perry said in a press conference Monday that he created the task force through executive action.
“[It’s] a team charged with studying and improving our existing plans to enhance our ability to quickly and effectively halt the spread of the emerging infectious disease of all types,” Perry said.
After the problem with Ebola is solved, Giroir said he plans to continue involvement with Texas’ emergency management activities and lead the task force in the development of a preparedness plan for the state.
“The presence of Ebola in our state is a very serious issue; however, it is not a cause for panic,” Giroir said. “Rather, this is a time to double down on efforts already underway that ensure Texas is prepared, and leading the nation, in preparedness against serious threats.”