Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

A&M to house next Bush Library, Regents hope

Depending on whether President Bush gets re-elected this November, he could designate the location of his presidential library this fall or in four years.
Whatever the outcome of the election, the Texas A&M Board of Regents is hoping that when his term does end, he will pick Texas A&M, said Erle Nye, vice chairman of the board.
Nye said the board made a proposal at the time of Bush’s inauguration in January 2001.
“We tried to get it positioned on his desk when he arrived in the White House,” Nye said.
Nick Anthis, 2003-04 president of the Texas Aggie Democrats and a senior biochemistry major, said housing Bush’s library would be a stigma for A&M.
“Bush the second is going to go down in history as one of our worst presidents,” Anthis said. “I don’t think that’s anything A&M would want to be associated with.”
John Jackson, chairman of the A&M College Republicans and a senior political science major, said that another presidential library would benefit students.
“(Former President Bush’s) library has offered so many opportunities for A&M students to have different heads of state and important world leaders come to campus,” Jackson said. “I think another library at A&M would really increase that.”
Nye said the 2001 proposal was to let the president know that the regents would do what was necessary to support the library with a site, funding and commitments to academic programs.
“It simply was an early statement of willingness and desire to encourage the president to consider putting his library at the campus,” Nye said.
Nye said that so far, no progress has been made towards the board’s goal of housing the library at A&M.
“There is no action, no activity … nothing that we could report,” Nye said.
The George Bush Presidential Library and Museum officially opened in November 1997.
The White House announced in May 1991, more than a year before the next presidential election, that former President Bush had selected A&M as the site, according to the Bush Library.
Nye and Jackson said that housing two presidential libraries would set A&M apart from any other university.
“To have the two libraries co-located on the campus would be a wonderful combination,” Nye said.
Anthis said that already having one presidential library established would hurt A&M’s chances of getting another one.
“I think (getting another library) it’s highly unlikely,” Anthis said, “We already have one.”
Nye and Jackson said that Southern Methodist University and Baylor University have also expressed strong interest in housing the library. The University of Texas at Austin and the city of Arlington have also reportedly expressed interest.