A&M finishes undefeated in nonconference play with 16-3 win over Rice

A&M to revamp on-campus housing

From minor fixes to major construction, several short and long-term on-campus construction and renovation projects will be undertaken this summer to improve on-campus living.
On west campus, an entire new unit is expected to go up as early as fall 2015, opening up 1,200 beds for student housing, said Kasey Krum, Residence Hall Association president. By 2016, that number will double.
Krum said the first 1,200 beds will be in apartment-style housing and the second 1,200 in more residence hall-style housing.
To ensure that the new housing offers an affordable and enjoyable option for students, Krum said Residence Life has worked with people across campus to get an accurate picture of what students want.
“From students who are living on campus due to mandated scholarships to students in leadership positions, they hold several pilot tests and surveys made to make sure the student experience is at its best,” Krum said. “West campus is allowing more and more student input, and it’s really exciting to see that the University cares so much to really and truly listen to what students want.”
Krum said Residence Life is working to meet all current and future needs regarding price, transportation and location
“One of the main concerns people have is that it’s going to be a really high price, and will separate people who can and can’t afford it,” Krum said. “Reslife has taken this into consideration and we don’t want the cost to be astronomically high. The apartment style housing isn’t expected to be any higher than what people would pay for most apartment complexes off campus.”
Krum said a common misunderstanding among students is the west campus housing will be primarily for those enrolled in agriculture, kinesiology, or business.
“Since its separated by the railroad tracks, west campus is considered a whole separate part of campus to some students, however, we plan to make this new housing very welcoming with a home-type feel to the area,” Krum said.
Minor renovations, such as remodeled ramps in Walton and the addition of a kitchen area in Appelt will take place over the summer, Krum said.
Carol Binzer, director of administrative and support services for the Department of Residence Life, said summer renovations to Corps housing will be minor and mainly cosmetic, but major expansions are predicted for the cadets’ living quarters in the next few years.
More decisions will be made throughout the upcoming year, Bizner said. For now, the major changes in Corps housing will be seen in the reopening of Dorm 7 and the completion of the Ash Leadership Learning Center, both of which will be open for use by Fall 2014.
Due to renovations, some cadets might be relocated to Commons halls, as well as reside in the three dorms that have already been renovated, Binzer said.
Cullen Pickett, senior animal science major and member of the Corps of Cadets, said the renovations and construction represent the efforts of former students to improve the experience of current students.
“If you look at the grand scheme of things, it helps you appreciate what donors and General Ramirez are trying to do for us,” Pickett said. “They want us to have the best, and these fully modernized dorms and learning centers really give current cadets and incoming students one more incentive to be a part of the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Cadet Corps, the heart and soul of this wonderful university.”