A&M’s Golden choice

The results are in, and Mark Gold was elected to be Texas A&M’s Student Body President, winning 75.31 percent of the vote. Opponent candidate Ryan Rieger might have seen it coming when Gold approached the statue of Sul Ross with a throng of his supporters to hear the results, but Rieger said that he knew he had a climb ahead of him when we went into the runoff election with just 14.88 percent of the votes compared to Gold’s 48.64 percent.
“It was kind-of expected, but I gave it my all and really appreciated the support I had,” Rieger said. “I’m really glad for Mark. I know he’s done a lot of work with his campaign and worked really hard. He deserved it. I am glad that 8,000 students came out and voted and participated in the run off elections. I’m looking forward to working with Mark.”
An exuberant Gold celebrated with his supporters with tears in his eyes after the results were read.
“I can’t explain it honestly. I think it’s the greatest feeling I’ve had in all of college,” Gold said. “A chance to serve this University that I love so much – it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I am so thankful, thank you.”