Annual Big Event to be held March 24

Big+Event
Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
Big Event

Over 20,080 students across Aggieland are currently signed up to spend their first weekend of spring serving the community during the Big Event on March 24.
The Big Event is the nation’s largest student-run one-day service project, where Aggies will complete a variety of tasks requested by community members. This year’s kick off ceremony begins at 8 a.m. in front of the John J. Koldus Building and will feature Texas A&M’s head football coach, Jimbo Fisher, as the keynote speaker. Free food will be available before volunteers set off to their 2,388 local jobs. Even though registration for Big Event closed in February, students are permitted to register the morning of the event.
There are many ways participants can prepare for a successful day of volunteering, according to Trent Armstrong, Big Event director and accounting senior.
“Be cautious with that many people, pay attention to parking signs … if they have any questions they can reach out,” Armstrong said. “Some advice is to plan ahead. Know what your group is doing, where you’re meeting and just have fun.”
Students should always keep the people they are serving as their top priority, according to Reese Svetgoff, Big Event development executive and business honors junior.
“The reason we’re doing this is because service is important and to get to know the residents and those families,” Svetgoff said. “It’s really cool when you get to know them because it really feels like you’re in touch with the community. … It’s a really cool way to show someone that you care about them, even if you don’t necessarily know them.”
Kelsey Jones, agribusiness freshman, is participating in Big Event with a group of students in Aggie Rotaract, an on-campus organization focused on community service. Jones said it is her love for volunteer activities and service background in her hometown which encouraged her to get involved.
“I like how we can give back to College Station and our community, all Aggies together in one day,” Jones said. “When I do community service, I like knowing that I can help people and better their lives, and that’s partly why I do Big Event.”
Armstrong said students should be enthusiastic about a chance to participate in this annual campus tradition.
“Get out of your comfort zone and build your relationship with that resident,” Armstrong said. “Build that relationship with the people you are serving alongside. Be motivated because you go to a school where 20,000 people would give up their Saturday morning to help out their community. Be proud of that. Participate in what it means to be an Aggie and take advantage of every opportunity you have on this campus to really live out those values that we all hold very dear.”
While the Big Event will conclude at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Armstrong said the principles behind the project should remain with students at all times.
“It’s an honor and it’s special that we get to do this crazy thing every year,” Armstrong said. “It reminds me that the Big Event is much more than a one-day project. It’s about going out, and doing something for somebody else, saying thank you and doing the little things each and every day that ultimately can make the big difference in people’s lives.”