Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) catches the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 12, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Troubles in ‘Loosa
Braxton Dore, Sports Writer • April 13, 2024

After taking the home series over Kentucky last weekend, No. 12 Texas A&M softball received a well-deserved break over the week before traveling...

Ring Day run rule
Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Army investigates rifle range shooting

FORT HOOD, Texas — The Army continues to investigate the shooting death of a Fort Hood soldier after he was shot in the back during a training exercise at a rifle range.
Sgt. Benjamin Franklin Moore II, 25, from Hamilton, Ohio, was shot while conducting M-16 night fire training about 8:30 p.m. Friday, a Fort Hood spokesman said.
Maj. Vic Harris said initial reports indicate that Moore was engaging targets — silhouettes of a head and body that fall when hit — when another soldier’s M16 rifle discharged accidentally in a subsequent firing order, striking Moore in the back.
Moore was airlifted to Fort Hood’s Darnell Army Community Hospital, where he died shortly after arrival Friday night, Harris said.
“This is tragic accident,” Harris, spokesman for the 1st Cavalry Division spokesman, told The Journal-News in Hamilton, Ohio. “It is highly unusual and very seldom do exercises produce any casualties.”
Soldiers have to qualify in day and night training, Harris said.
Moore was assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division’s 1-9 Cav. His 24-year-old wife of about one year, Shauna Moore of Killeen, told The Cincinnati Enquirer for its Monday edition that her husband joined the Army in April 1999 as a way to pay for college, and had been stationed in Germany and Kosovo.
Moore’s family said he had been stationed at Fort Hood in Central Texas since September. Mrs. Moore joined him there in January after giving birth in December to their first child, Hanna Marie.
Mrs. Moore said told The Journal-News that she expected her husband to come home around 10 p.m. Friday, but she fell asleep waiting for him and was awakened by a knock on the door after midnight. She opened the door to find a chaplain and casualty officer.
“They told me that he had passed away,” she said. “I was in disbelief. It never occurred to me he would be gone .”
The investigation is expected to take one to three months to complete, Harris told The Journal-News. The Criminal Investigation Division has started initial questioning that will continue for about a day or so, then the U.S. Army Safety Court from Fort Rucker, Ala., will begin conduct an on-scene investigation for about two weeks, Harris said.
“We will have a full accounting that will take a couple of week then we’ll issue a full report,” he said.
The Journal-News reported Moore was a 1996 graduate of Hamilton High, where he participated in football, wrestling and track. He was named co-Most Valuable Player in wrestling and was named first team Greater Miami Conference in the 171-pound weight class in 1996, according to the school’s yearbook. In addition, he was voted the football team’s most efficient running back.