Art gallery show to honor, accentuate women’s figures

%26%23160%3B

With the sounds and movements of belly dancers in the background, the public will get the chance to take in a downtown Bryan art show designed to commemorate the female figure.
The Wylde Women Art Show will feature the work from 20 local artists and three belly-dancing troupes, including the TAMU Belly Dance Association.
Miriam Rieck, curator of the Wylde Women Art Show and artist, said the female form has been a staple of art since the beginning of time and it was something she wanted to celebrate. When creating the show, she said she attempted to avoid anything too obscene or objectifying, but said children’s viewing of the show is up to parental discretion due to mature content.
As the art features women without defaulting to a sensual portrayal, Reick said the show will give a different perspective on the female body and the idea of eroticism.
“There is nothing blatantly sexual or pornographic,” Rieck said. “I even rejected a few people on those principles because I am seriously wide-open minded, but I was after the feel. I wanted respect. I wanted glorification.”
After living in the community, Rieck said she noticed some local artists were overlooked because of the content of their creations. She wanted to find a way to give them the opportunity to show and sell their art.
Speaking from her experience as an artist, Rieck said it is small towns like Bryan and College Station that will keep the industry alive.
“I think that artists are going to be what keeps the humanity in things and I think that can only happen in small towns,” Rieck said.
Jill Pankey, artist and owner of Studio One Gallery where the show will be held, said men have portrayed the female body for a long time, but since most of the artists in the show are women they can show the female body in a way usually ignored or objectified by mainstream media.
Pankey said she and her husband have owned the gallery for three years and are excited to meet and display the works of local artists in the show.
Interested in art since childhood, Pankey said she only recently began painting women herself.
“I don’t know much about men, even though I’m married to one and have a son,” Pankey said. “I just thought one day I would start painting what I know and that’s women.”
The first night of the Wylde Women Art Show will be from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday. The exhibit will close April 12.