Athletes gear up for weeklong Aggies Can food drive

PROVIDED

PROVIDED

In an effort to drum up support for the Brazos Valley Food Pantry, the Student Athlete Advisory Committee will extend the 14th annual two-day Aggies Can food drive to last the entire week leading up to the football game against Louisiana Monroe on Nov. 1.
Aggies Can will start Sunday, and during the week students will have the opportunity to donate two cans to the SAAC for the Brazos Valley Food Bank at volleyball and soccer games for free admission, said Kelli Benjamin, SAAC president.
Jackie Tondl, SAAC programs chair, said volunteers will wear lime green shirts at every event to ensure students can find someone to handle their donation.
“In addition, the first 15,000 fans who give either a monetary donation of at least $1 or donate two canned good items at the football game will also receive a Whataburger coupon,” Tondl said.
Benjamin said there will be several locations on campus for students to drop off donations.
Aggies Can plans to raise awareness about the drive by handing out sunglasses, bracelets and pens to students throughout the week, Benjamin said.
“With just one dollar [or] one can, students are making an impact on someone’s life,” Benjamin said.
Callie Scheffler, SAAC vice president, said students should participate in Aggies Can because it benefits the community.
Tondl said supporting fellow Aggies is already part of student tradition, and donating to Aggies Can is just another way to do that.
“Seeing as though one of our biggest traditions at A&M is the 12th Man, coming out to support fellow Aggies at athletic events really already comes naturally to us,” Tondl said.
Scheffler said, as a leader in the SAAC, she feels blessed to be a part of Aggies Can.
“I’ve been fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to get a great education and play a sport for this university,” Scheffler said. “As an athlete, I am a leader. I believe it is important to take a leadership role in giving back and helping other.”
Benjamin said as a student athlete her schedule can be demanding, but it is important for her to take time away to help out the community that supports Aggie athletes.
“It is important to student athletes to give back because we enjoy taking time off and helping out the 12th Man who has supported and cheered all of us on during our competitions,” Benjamin said. “The impact the Brazos Valley brings towards the student athletes is truly indescribable.”
Aggies Can started in 2000 and now is the largest student-athlete run food drive in the nation with last year’s drive raking in more than $30,000 and 12,000 pounds of canned goods.
Students can get updates throughout the week by following @tamusaac and @AggiesCan2014 on Twitter.