76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Athletic department to form new band

Texas A&M basketball and volleyball fans will hear the beat of a new band next fall.
Athletic director Bill Byrne said the new band, whose membership is open to all A&M students, not just members of the Aggie Band, will be formed by next volleyball season.
“Most schools in the Big 12 have bands at all of their games,” Byrne said.
Byrne said he decided to form the new band after many frequent game attendees said they enjoyed the games more when a band was present.
Alan Cannon, assistant athletic director of media relations, said visiting teams to Reed Arena and their fans note the difference in the atmosphere when the band performs.
“We really want the excitement that the band gives the players and the crowd,” he said.
The Aggie Band, the University marching unit within the Corp of Cadets, performs at many, but not all, of the men’s and women’s home basketball games. Just this year, the band performed at the volleyball games.
Members of the Aggie Band said between school and other activities, it was hard to find time to commit to perform at all the games.
“It’s just too much to ask (the band) to perform at all of the 50-plus home games,” said Jonathan Dunbar, head drum major.
The band that does perform at the games is made up of approximately 100 volunteers from the Aggie Band. Those 100 are then divided into two smaller bands comprised of 50 members each who rotate the games to meet their schedules, Byrne said.
Byrne said the new band will not be under the direction of Maj. Timothy Rhea; instead, the University will hire a new band leader specifically for the basketball game band.
Associate Athletic Director for Game Operations Mike Caruso will meet with Rhea Friday to discuss more details about the new band.