Back in Town

Sly Letter will return to College Station once again.
The band performed in College Station Sept. 8 in memory of their friend Chad Garren and will perform again Saturday night at Third Floor Cantina with opening band Two Spy. The six members of Sly Letter have music similar to the Eagles and the Counting Crows. Certain critics have referred to the regionally popular acoustic rock band as “sons of Dave Matthews.”
Sly Letter’s name is highly regarded in the College Station area because of the recent Chad Garren Memorial Concert. The band members said they are grateful for the positive reinforcement of the community and have received almost $7,500. Supporting fans are still sending money for the scholarship fund.
Members of Sly Letter include Chris Edwards, bass, Chris Ginsbach on drums, Chris Huntley on percussion, Mark McDavid on mandolin and backing vocals, Ryan Slie on rhythm guitar and vocals, and Sean Smith on lead guitar and vocals.
The band’s goal is to support each other doing what they love, playing music. Each member has his own twist on ideas and can add a new swing to things. Two and a half years ago, these members decided to produce an album together, and have now formed the closest friendships they have ever known, McDavid said.
“It was incredible how people who didn’t know each other very well were able to come together and join a successful band,” McDavid said. “We are all totally inseparable and very respectful of each other and our ideas.”
Sly Letter’s newest accomplishment is being held in the store AWARE. AWARE is an online music store that makes a home for good-quality, independent music. AWARE will list Sly Letter as a guaranteed artist on its Website. If a listener does not like Sly Letter, AWARE will give the listeners a refund.
In the future, Sly Letter plans on building more contacts to help them gain full-time status as a band. The members would like to support themselves with the profits from making records and touring.
Sly Letter plans to perform on the East Coast in November, touring in Florida, Georgia and North Carolina.
Sly Letter said that Houston’s Sidecar Pub and College Station are two of it’s favorite places to return.
“We love playing in College Station, not only because we all went to school and graduated from A&M, but because it is fun to return home and share our music with the Aggies who helped us grow into what we are today,” Ginsbach said.
College Station residents can purchase Sly Letter’s “These Autumn Skies” and watch for a new album to be released in 2002.