Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) pitches the ball during the Aggie softball teams Maroon & White game on Friday, Oct. 27, 2023 at Davis Diamond (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion).
A&M advances to Super Regionals with run-rule victory over Texas State

When Texas State softball senior RHP Jessica Mullins and Texas A&M junior LHP Emiley Kennedy each started Sunday’s Bryan-College Station...

Bad weather can bring on the blues and limit activities, but there are ways to brighten a gloomy day

It is the unconquerable force that shadows students and seems to surface at the most inopportune times. It causes torture between classes, cancels sporting events, and evokes cold and cranky behavior. While the rain can be a nuisance, it does not have to dampen one’s days.
In College Station, the climate can be sunny one minute and raining the next. Although it tends to annoy people who get drenched on the way to class, some actually welcome the rain.
“It may sound weird, but the rain actually makes me feel happy,” said Bryan Cassidy, a freshman general studies major. “It’s a nice change from it being hot outside all the time, and you can always go to class and have something to talk about because people can relate to it.”
While dismal weather may put a damper on some outdoor activities, there are plenty of things to do while it is raining outside. Being stuck indoors can give people a chance to revive old board games that have been gathering dust in the closet or curl up with a favorite old book. Some people get creative, using the time indoors to catch up on an abandoned scrapbook or explore the Internet.
“Sometimes when I am stuck inside, I like to try to plan my dream vacation on the Internet [and decide] where to go, where to stay, what to do,” said Erin McCrory, a sophomore general studies major. “I know I may never get to take it, but it’s fun to dream.”
Many students use the rain to escape studying, opting to sleep instead of doing homework or going to class.
“I do not even try to study when it is raining, because I know that it will just put me to sleep,” said Travis Collins, a sophomore computer science major.
If you are feeling brave enough to venture outside, then you could take some time to rediscover the charms of the Bryan-College Station area. To break free from the repetitiveness of a steady diet of Ramen noodles, consider traveling to downtown Bryan to sample one of the old specialty food shops.
There are also other interesting places to explore in the area.
If you are looking for fun, organize a group of friends and go to the movies or to the bowling alley. The Benjamin Knox Art Gallery provides a pleasant change of scenery, and the Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History and the Messina Hof Wine Cellars offer a taste of culture.
For those people who do not mind getting dirty, there are also a few outdoor activities that are fun in the rain. A group could get together and play a sloppy game of tackle football, which is always more interesting when everyone is wet and muddy.
Kevin Crenshaw, a senior telecommunications engineering technology major, offers another unique suggestion.
“When you are really soaked, find a nice long patch of green wet grass, get a long running head start and see how far you can slide,” Crenshaw said.
Though the rain may be pouring down outside, the day does not have to be a loss. Whether starting a new project inside or playing outside in the rain, there are many ways to make a rainy day both interesting and enjoyable.