Bama car smash’ to raise charity funds

%26%23160%3B

In hopes of fueling the gameday spirit with some good, old-fashioned destruction, the Aggie Club of Engineers (ACE) will present its second ever “car smash” Thursday from 2-8 p.m. in front of the Texas A&M Student Recreation Center.
Zachary McIlvoy, ACE member and sophomore mechanical engineering major, said the event features a scrap car spray-painted with “Bama” on the side. An array of sledgehammers – weighing sixteen, ten and six pounds – will be presented to passers-by for the purpose of pummeling the vehicle.
In keeping with the organization’s motto of promoting friendship, community, service and social activity on campus, McIlvoy said the event will raise money for a worthy cause.
“The event is a fundraiser to raise money for the Down Syndrome Association of Brazos Valley (DSABV), and we are combining that with the Alabama game, so it’s our ‘BTHO ‘Bama car smash,'” McIlvoy said. “Anybody can come. You get to use our sledgehammer and our protective eyewear.”
Greg Krauss, ACE president and senior mechanical engineering major, said the car smash is a great way to get students pumped up for the football game against Alabama while also raising awareness for the DSABV.
The idea for the event began last year when the men’s organization decided to do a car smash to allow students to relieve some stress for spring finals. While last year’s proceeds went to the Wounded Warrior project, Krauss said this year the club decided they wanted to donate the money to a more localized service.
The organization chose DSABV after hearing about the Bryan-College Station “Buddy Walk,” a walkathon for and with people living with Down syndrome.
Krauss said the organization is excited to localize their philanthropy and the club is hoping to see the car smash grow this year to benefit the DSABV.
Chris McDonald, ACE service chair and senior mechanical engineering major, said about 100 students participated in the last car smash, but the club is expecting the event to grow this year through the promotional actions.
“The car smash last year was very successful for us,” McDonald said. “Students that did it last year loved it. We expect this year’s turnout to be even bigger, close to a few hundred. We are really pushing the car smash this year, trying to raise awareness about it and the Down Syndrome Association of Brazos Valley.”
The car was donated by Precision Towing and Recovery and will be sold for parts after the event. The car smash costs a dollar for three hits and five dollars for a minute.