#BamaHateWeek signs target Nick Saban’s daughter

%23BamaHateWeek+%231
#BamaHateWeek #1

A number of signs targeting Alabama’s head coach Nick Saban’s daughter were displayed hanging from various locations in the area this past week.

Bed sheets hung from banisters showed messages like, “Nick Saban can’t handle A&M’s D… but his daughter can” and, “Kristen Saban takes more sacks than Bama’s QB.” Some of the signs included #BamaHateWeek, the hashtag circulating among Aggie fans to promote the A&M-Alabama rivalry.

Shane Hinckley, interim vice president for the Division of Marketing and Communications for Texas A&M University, said if any of the residents sporting these messages are determined to be affiliated with university-endorsed organizations, the residents may face consequences.

“If there’s any organizations that are perpetrating that type of language or discussion that are official university organizations, we definitely will be looking into that,” Hinckley said.

At least one student, an agricultural communications and journalism senior at Texas A&M, has taken credit for the sign reading, “Nick Saban can’t handle A&M’s D… but his daughter can.” The Battalion was unable to interview said student for comment.

Overall, Hinckley said the statements are not indicative of the position of many A&M students, but rather the action of a few individuals.

“Our students are great — our students are what make this place unique and great and we expect the high set of standards because they expect it of themselves,” Hinckley said, “We are very appreciative of our students and we know this does not reflect upon the majority.”

The signs targeting Saban’s daughter are among a number of #BamaHateWeek signs with messages like, “If you can read this you are not a Bama fan” and, “Saban listens to Nickelback.”

Engineering freshman Christian Brazell said signs regarding Kristen Saban are contrary to the Aggie spirit.

“I’m all for that kind of playful, friendly trash talk, there’s nothing harmful there. But in some of those [signs], those sorts of things are uncalled for and not respectful and it needs to stop,” Brazell said. “When you start making jokes in that type of way, it’s not acceptable.”

Brazell said while he understands the signs are meant to be jokes, they go too far. 

“When you’re talking about something this sensitive and when it goes to the extent where you’re making these sorts of jokes and accusations, it’s more than just being politically correct,” Brazell said. “It’s about trying to preserve a culture of respect and dignity and nobility.”

• #BamaHateWeek #2

• #BamaHateWeek #3

• #BamaHateWeek #4