Baseball team prepares for nonconference series

The No. 17 Texas A&M baseball team is not looking past unranked Dallas Baptist for its three-game series that starts today at Olsen Field.
The Aggies are taking a break from Big 12 play to take on the Patriots, a team A&M has played in each of Head Coach Rob Childress’ three seasons.
“We are going to have our hands full all weekend,” Childress said. “It is a conference series, that is what we told our team.”
The Aggies are in position to host a regional tournament at Olsen Field for the third consecutive season and winning nonconference games is key to getting the bid. DBU, an independent school, is fighting for an at-large bid to the tournament.
Winning the series against A&M would give the Patriots an argument once the postseason arrives.
“Understand they are fighting for an opportunity to get an at-large bid up there in the independent and they can swing the bat and score runs with anybody,” Childress said. “They are hitting .350 as a team and they have a difference maker on the mound on Thursday night in Victor Black.”
DBU gave the Aggies trouble in previous game. The Patriots took a game in 2007 and split a two-game series in 2006.
A sweep of the Patriots would improve the Aggies’ No. 18 nationally ranked Ratings Percentage Index. DBU is ranked No. 51 natoinally in RPI.
Despite a short week of rest and two key Big 12 series on the schedule, the Aggies will keep their normal pitching rotation for the series against the Patriots.