76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Baylor athlete arrested, cut from baseball team

WACO (AP) – Baylor junior pitcher Derek Brehm, who was accused earlier this year of killing, skinning and decapitating a stray cat, has been dismissed from the team following a DWI arrest.
In a release from the school, Baylor coach Steve Smith said only that Brehm had been dismissed after being involved in another off-the-field incident.
Waco police said Brehm was arrested Saturday.
Brehm is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 7.
Brehm and outfielder Clint Bowers were arrested March 9 after the cat was killed. Both players were scheduled to appear in court on the plea docket Aug. 30, but the date was rescheduled for pretrial Jan. 9.
Waco police arrested the two players after receiving a report that someone shot a cat near the Baylor campus and fled in a sport utility vehicle.
Police stopped Bowers’ Chevrolet Tahoe nearby and noticed blood on the door and steering wheel, according to police reports. While searching the truck, police found a severed, skinned cat’s head in the back.
They also found a pellet gun, a knife and a golf club that appeared to have cat hair on it.

Middle-school students charged with terrorist threats

FORT WORTH (AP) – Three middle-school students have been charged with making a terrorist threat for allegedly threatening and harassing a schoolmate who was born in India.
Police say the charges against the three Forest Oak Middle School students qualify for misdemeanor prosecution, but they’ll ask prosecutors to upgrade charges to a felony hate crime.
The three were taken into custody Friday after another student told school officials that the three were taunting and threatening to ”shoot and kill” the Indian student in the wake of last week’s terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.
Two of the students detained are 13 years old, the other is 14. All have been suspended from the southeast Fort Worth school.
Fort Worth school superintendent Thomas Tocco this week sent letters home to parents promoting tolerance.

UT System offers resources to help with attack aftermath

AUSTIN (AP) – The University of Texas System is offering its medical and technical expertise to help emergency response officials in Washington, D.C. and New York.
Chancellor R.D. Burck said Tuesday the 15-campus system has trauma surgeons, nurses, lab technicians, forensic scientists, counselors, psychologists, social workers, translators and other experts ready to help in any way needed.
”The full resources of the UT System are available to the nation in response to these tragic events,” Burck said.
UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas already has pitched in. A medical team drove to Washington last week to deliver skin grafts.