Ben Carson comes to Bryan

Photo by Valerie Gunchick

Ben Carson shook many hands and signed many books during his book tour stop in Bryan, TX. 

Hundreds of people snaked through Hastings book store in Bryan Monday to get their book signed and a photograph with Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson.
Carson is in the Texas leg of his book tour for “A More Perfect Union,” a novel he wrote that discusses his opinion on controversial policy issues like gay marriage, gun ownership rights, taxation and religious rights.
Carson signed copies of his book for nearly three hours and spoke with the media about his campaign. Carson said his campaign is not on pause for the book tour, because he will do some campaign events during the trip.
“We separate the staffs — we separate the funding so that there are no efficacy violations,” Carson said. “Honestly anything that you do when you’re running for president is campaigning, to a sense, because it’s going to be seen that way.”
Carson said the content of his book ties in with what he wants to achieve as president.
“Most Americans know that we have a Constitution, but relatively few people know what’s in it, what was behind it’s creation,” Carson said. “I want people to understand that our liberties are tied to, not only the Constitution, but knowing what’s in it and understanding it and understanding that it is also there to define the government and to limit the government.”
Lea Simer, nutrition senior, said she has been a fan of Carson since she was 10 years old. Simer said the book tour benefits his campaign because the book establishes his views in his words.
“People can read the book and know his stance on political correctness,” Simer said. “Obviously he’s a Republican, he just kind of says what he wants — probably not as extremely as Trump does — but people really like that about him. They really respect him, because he does say what most candidates are afraid to say, but he does it in a respectful and calm way and not as a way to stir people up.”
David Box, sociology junior, who arrived at Hastings at 10 a.m. Monday, said the crowd started showing up around 3 p.m.
“I came here today because I view Ben Carson as one of the best candidates for the election this year,” Box said. “I think that he is the most intelligent and the most balanced and that is why I am here, because I want to meet him — and meet our next president.”
Adam Lang, business senior, said he attended the event because he cares about what is going on in the political environment and he thinks Carson has a lot of good ideas.
“I also think it’s interesting because he’s not technically the most political candidate but his background reflects how he’ll do on the campaign trail and I think a lot of Americans will like that he’s not just the typical politician,” Lang said.