Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Big Event encourages online registration

Each year, thousands of Texas A&M University students participate in The Big Event, the largest, one-day student run service project in the nation. The event focuses on thanking the community.
This year’s event will take place March 26. Last year’s Big Event had approximately 13,000 students signed up to work roughly 1,500 jobs. This year’s goal is for 15,000 student sign-ups. Students can sign up on paper but are encouraged to do so online.
“This year, we wanted to make it easier and more accessible than ever for students to sign up for The Big Event,” said Ryan Byrne, director of The Big Event. “Anyone with a Texas A&M NetID and password can sign up.”
All students are encouraged to get involved.
“For us, it’s not about hitting a goal,” said Erin Weaver, assistant director of The Big Event. “The more volunteers we recruit, the greater the impact The Big Event is able to make in the community.”
This year alone, A&M has the opportunity to serve more community residents than in past years.
“I hope that the students will find out that signing up to be a part of Aggieland’s tradition of selfless service has never been easier. We can’t wait to see the Aggie spirit in action,” Byrne said. “The day of is truly inspirational for everyone involved. Each person places a special role that is vital to The Big Event’s mission,” Weaver said.
There are different ways to get involved or participate in the event. “Students will be able to choose one of three easy options; create a group, join a group, or sign up as an individual,” Byrne said. “Once the group leader creates a group, he or she will have the opportunity to invite other students to join their group using e-mail invitations, Facebook, or by simply sharing their group’s assigned access code with potential group members.”
The Big Event holds to the mission of service oriented activities and campus and community unity as students come together for one day to express gratitude for the support from the surrounding community. Students can learn more about The Big Event visiting the website.
“We could not be more excited to allow students to sign up and participate online. Hopefully this will make it easier for 15,000 students to commit to serving the community on March 26,” said Lauren Brooks, recruitment executive of The Big Event.