Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Big Event takes steps to round out its team

Photo by unknown

The Big Event, the nation’s largest one-day student-run service project, continues to work toward completing the team that puts on the annual event.
The Big Event’s executive and committee members are searching for a 250-member staff assistant team to help put on its annual community-wide volunteer effort. Laura Bassel, recruitment executive and English junior, said the executive team is searching for passionate students that positively represent the community.
“We’re looking for students that just want to say a big thank you to the community they live in,” Bassel said. “More importantly, we want people who understand the community.”
Riley DuPuy, recruitment chair and industrial distribution senior, said the best part about getting involved in the service event are the close connections developed with community members.
“Staff assistants are tasked with 18 to 20 job checks in which they visit with community residents and assess what they need help on, what tools they require and so on,” DuPuy said. “You get to personally connect with these residents and really be in charge of making a difference in their lives.”
DuPuy said staff assistants act as a liaison between Bryan-College Station residents and Texas A&M students. They carry the task of ensuring the site is safe and maintaining relations with residents. They also recruit students to sign up for The Big Event.
The opportunity to be involved in one of A&M’s major charity events has attracted applicants across the university.
International studies freshman Becca Polk said she hopes to have an even deeper involvement with The Big Event.
“I want to make more of an impact, and being staff assistant would also be a great way to meet people interested in the same things as I am,” Polk said.
During a staff assistant informational Monday, The Big Event director and business senior Kevin Brooks recalled a personal experience when he talked with a resident who had lost his Aggie Ring and wanted a group of students he could sit and talk to. After The Big Event, the students started a campaign to raise funds to buy the resident a brand new Aggie Ring.
“The true difference you are making is in the lives of these residents,” Brooks said.
More informationals will be held at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday in MSC 1400.
Big Event director Kevin Brooks addresses the crowd at the staff assistant informational Monday.