Board of Regents finalizes four appointments

Michael+Young
Michael Young

The Texas A&M Board of Regents announced four appointments Monday, including Michael Young as A&M president.
Also confirmed were Joyce Alexander as dean of the College of Education and Human Development, Eli Jones as dean of the Mays Business School and Bruce Akey as director of the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory.
Young, named sole finalist for Texas A&M University president in February, served as president of the University of Utah and then president of the University of Washington until 2011. He will officially assume the position May 1.
The Eagle reported Young will receive an annual salary of $1 million, including a $200,000 housing allowance and an $800,000 signing bonus.
Alexander will assume the role June 1, after previously holding the position of associate dean of the School of Education at Indiana University.
Jones, whose appointment is effective July 1, served as dean of the E.J. Ourso College of Business at LSU from 2008 to 2012 and was most previously the dean of Sam Walton College of Business and Leadership at the University of Arkansas.
Akey was named by the Board of Regents as sole finalist in February, and his appointment is effective immediately. Akey was previously vice president and president of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians.
In an interview with The Battalion in February, Young said he was still forming his vision for A&M, but he intended on continuing to expand.
“My sense is — and this will take a lot more conversation with people to get a sense of what the real opportunities are for the university — but it has a wonderful strategic plan already in place that does something very important which I think takes the university and expands and deepens its capacity to do what I already think it’s doing really well,” Young said.
Prior to a presentation during her campus visit to Texas A&M in November, Alexander said she urged students to attend the presentation so she could get a better sense of the needs of the university.
“I think it will be a good opportunity for students to get to know me a little better, and hopefully we can lay the foundation for working together in the future,” Alexander said.
Jones said the selection process was similar to the one he went through when he was a prospect for his previous position at LSU.
“It’s long but very thorough, so lots of folks will look into your background and look at your accomplishment and that, I think, is a wonderful experience to go through and to be the one selected as the person who will lead the business school,” Jones said.