Board of Trustees welcomes new member

On Wednesday, the Texas A&M Foundation board of trustees honored their newest member, an individual who is not only a diehard Aggie, but a former chairman of the 12th Man Foundation and a member of the Dean’s Development Council at May Business School.
T. Randall “Randy” Cain, Class of 1982, was asked to join the board by the present board members.
As a trustee, Cain will handle financial situations within the school.
“All the board members are on a governance role of overseeing the operations of the foundation,” Cain said. “One of the foundation’s charges is to monitor and invest the money for the Texas A&M Foundation – I am on the investment committee that
oversees this.”
The foundation took interest in Cain because of his loyalty, dedication and generosity, as well as his experience as a partner at Ernst & Young.
“The board was keenly interested in my financial background,” Cain said, “and my understanding of corporate governments. I would imagine they would want someone with my background and knowledge. I am also assuming they thought my disposition would go well with the rest of the board.”
Courtney Kuhn, Cain’s oldest daughter and class of ’07, said she was very proud of her father for being honored by the University once again.
“Our family is always really impressed by everything he gets nominated for,” Kuhn said. “He is really humbled, for us it is really cool. My husband, my sister and I are Aggies, so it touches really close to home. We are just excited for him.”
She also said that while her father is very excited, his humility has kept him grounded.
“He is just really humble and excited to help A&M because he likes being a part of anything A&M,” Kuhn said. “He has been looking for his next leadership role and we had known he was interested in this position.”
Recently, Cain also helped create the Randy ’82 and Jyl Cain Accounting Education Excellence Fund, committing $100,000 to the accounting program to help secure further excellence in education at the Mays business school.
“It is difficult to envision how anybody could participate more in the life of our school,” said Mays Dean Jerry Strawser. “Whether hiring our students, speaking to our classes, serving on advisory boards or providing financial support, Randy has literally impacted thousands of Mays graduates. We are truly blessed to have him as an advocate for our students and programs.”
Cain said the best part of his alumnus experience has been in forging new friendships with Aggies from all walks of life.
“You start to think when you get to be my age you know most people but, in fact, you really don’t,” Cain said. “Each time I get to do something, I get to meet more Aggies, I get to know more friends and continue the spirit of the 12th Man. This Aggie network never goes away. It will always continue on.”
Cain urges current students to take their future role as alumni seriously.
“Students need to understand and need to know that as you get older that the Aggie network is important and it is heartwarming and gets you excited,” Cain said. “By gosh, when you leave this place, you need to give back.”