BOR votes to give George R.R. Martin, chemistry professor honorary degrees

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Board of Regents

The Board of Regents approved to award George R.R. Martin and Dr. Peter J. Stang honorary degrees during their meeting Thursday.
Martin is the author of the book series the popular HBO show “Game of Thrones” is based on. While Martin said in a blog post that he was honored to receive the distinguishment, he will not be collecting it until he finishes the next installment in the book series.
Dr. Peter J. Stang, a professor of chemistry at the University of Utah and the editor of the Journal of the American Chemical Society, was also approved to be awarded an honorary degree.
The board also approved putting $30 million toward construction on the Krueger, Leggett, Neely and Underwood residence halls. The renovations are set to begin May 2016 and finish by July 2016.
“These four residence halls are 220 years- old put together,” said Jerry Strawser, A&M’s chief financial officer. “These are some much-needed renovations.”
Each building will be undergoing heating, ventilation and air conditioning renovations; depending on the building, they will replace air handling units, supply and exhaust ductwork, electrical systems, water piping and exhaust fans within the buildings, Strawser said.
The Board also gave Michael Young the authority to negotiate and execute an employment contract for the A&M Academics Directory and the Football Offensive Coordinator.