Bow tie sized void to fill in Aggieland

The hunt for University President R. Bowen Loftin’s replacement is now underway, as A&M System Chancellor John Sharp announced Wednesday the names of nine committee members who will search for presidential candidates .
The Presidential Search Advisory Committee – made of seven voting and two non-voting members – will nominate three applicants by February, said Reid Joseph, Student Body President and non-voting member. The three nominations will then be presented to the Board of Regents.
The Board of Regents will then make a final decision.
According to a University press release, the search process will be guided by Kenneth Kring, co-managing director for the Global Education practice, who has experience placing over 250 executive positions.
Joseph said the voting members of the board are made up of faculty, administration and former students and were chosen by the University system. He said they will consider numerous characteristics in applicants, but the exact qualities they will look for will not be finalized until later this month.
“I can tell you without a doubt we will be looking for someone who lives, demonstrates and has had a life-long commitment to the six core Aggie values of excellence, integrity, leadership, loyalty, respect and selfless service,” he said.
Joseph said although he is unable to vote, he will still partake in all discussions.
“I act as the voice of the student body and it’s quite an honor to do so,” Joseph said.
“It’s an extreme honor to be on such a committee and to represent the students on it, especially when it’s such a high-profile position such as the University president.”
The Presidential Search Advisory Committee voting members include:
• Regent Cliff Thomas (Victoria, Texas) – Chairman of the Committee and CEO of Thomas Petroleum, LLC
• Regent Elaine Mendoza (San Antonio, Texas) – President and CEO of Conceptual MindWorks, Inc.
• John Gladysz (College Station, Texas) – Distinguished Professor and Dow Chair in Chemical Invention, Texas A&M University
• Joanne Lupton (College Station, Texas) – Distinguished Professor, Regents Professor, University Faculty Fellow and William W. Allen Endowed Chair in Nutrition, Texas A&M University
• John Stallone (College Station, Texas) – Professor in the Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, Texas A&M University
• Dan Allen Hughes (Beeville, Texas) – President and CEO of Dan A. Hughes Company, LP and Hupecol Operating Company, LLC
• Cindy Taylor (Houston, Texas) – President and CEO of Oil States International, Inc.
Non-voting members include Lisa Blum, Chair of Staff Council at Texas A&M, and Student Body President Reid Joseph.