Brady chosen as 2007 First Yell host

The Texas A&M yell leaders have chosen comedian Wayne Brady to help usher in a new school year when he performs at Reed Arena on Sept. 1 for First Yell.
Two-time Emmy-nominated Brady is best know for his work on the TV improv comedy show, “Whose Line is it Anyway?” He also produced and starred in “The Wayne Brady Show” in 2001, and he currently tours the country with his own improv comedy group.
Yell leader Tyler Wellborn said Brady was chosen for his clean humor, as well as his wide appeal.
“We look at people who are clean, who aren’t raunchy comedians, just a well-rounded person,” Wellborn said. “He had a good show, we thought he’d be a good fit.”
In the past eight years, First Yell has become an Aggie tradition that serves to help kick off the home football season. Each year the yell leaders choose a comedian to provide entertainment for the weekend. Past performers include Bill Cosby, Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall.
Rusty Thompson, the associate director of student activities and yell leader adviser, said the most difficult part of choosing a comedian is finding someone who will appeal to both current students and graduates.
“It’s really difficult to find a comedian … that has that broad appeal, as well as that can put on a family show that everyone to enjoy,” Thompson said. “He’s someone that meets that criteria.”
Head yell leader Grant Castleberry said Brady will also bring something new with him to First Yell.
“He brings a band with him, so it’s the whole concept of comedy and music,” Castleberry said.
Traditionally, student groups have put on performances before the comedian takes the stage. Although the student groups have “He brings a band with him, so it’s the whole concept of comedy and music,” Castleberry said.
Traditionally, student groups have put on performances before the comedian takes the stage. Although the student groups have not been decided yet, past groups have included the Aggie Wranglers, the Singing Cadets and Freudian Slip.
Tickets for the event will be available for students from May 1-5 and 8-12 in the Zone office or Reed Arena Ticket office. A TAMU ID will be required to buy the tickets, which are priced at $15 and $25. Students can purchase up to four tickets per ID, and will receive a $5 discount on the first two tickets. Ticket sales will resume again during the summer at a date to be announced.