Breaking ground for cancer research

Texas A&M Institute of Preclinical studies had its groundbreaking Friday for the 112,000 sq. ft project which will be located in A&M’s Research Park.
The event began with an address by Theresa Fossum, director and founder of TIPS and was followed by welcoming remarks from A&M President Elsa Murano.
“We are really excited about this institute. [It’s a] unique endeavor for any university,” Fossum said. “Through TIPS, we are not only going to discover new therapies but we are going to commercialize them.”
Fossum said TIPS has numerous functions. There is a core-imaging center for Texas A&M University System, incubator space for start-up companies and a state-of-the-art large animal hospital. They perform animal research, particularly involving naturally occurring animal models, in other words, enrolling pets with various diseases into clinical studies to find therapies for both animals and humans and Good Laboratory Practice research, which is mandated by the Food and Drug Administration to get drugs or devices approved.
“TIPS is unique in that we have a very strong collaboration with the local community, both in terms of a working relationship, but also in terms of financial support,” Fossum said. “The research valley partnership and its economic development partners, cities of College Station and Bryan, and Brazos Valley, are contributing $2.5 million to our facility.”
In welcoming remarks, Murano said that A&M will work with private industries to facilitate therapeutic drugs and medical devices to save lives.
Perry was welcomed onto the stage with a standing ovation. He addressed the audience and said how pleased he was to be at A&M.
“I want Texas A&M and Texas to be a place where people look longingly and want to move here, want to be a part of this team, want to be a part of the action that is going to be occurring particularly in biotechnology arena,” Perry said.
“I have every expectation that [TIPS] is going to be an engine for economic growth like no one even realizes yet, making Texas an even more competitive state in this global warming place that we live in.”
Fossum presented Perry with a plaque on behalf of TIPS and the University.
“Institutions which move forward, if they are going to be successful, this type of dynamic will occur,” Perry said. “Universities which are not afraid to move outside their comfort zone, they are going to be the ones which are leading the world economically and in finding the answers to the challenges of our health, well-being.
“I want UT and U of H and Sam Houston to benefit from this, as well. All of us and improving and being more competitive, it may be uncomfortable for the others, but that is what makes us better.”