Brian O’Hara named new MSC president

Photo by: Alexis Will

Brian O’Hara was previously an executive vice president of the diversity committee development,he will take office after Muster on April 21.

Brian O’Hara was selected as president of the 1,400-strong student programming arm of the Memorial Student Center Saturday.
O’Hara, who previously served as executive vice president of diversity and committee development, will take office at his first MSC board of directors meeting after Muster on April 21. A first-generation Aggie, O’Hara said his primary goal as MSC President is to make the MSC organization a household name.
“My personal goal is to make the MSC better known on campus, especially for our programs and the organization and for the student union that we are,” O’Hara said. “We’re part of the building — we serve a very important function as part of its tradition, but we’re also an organization that puts on these programs for our student body.”
O’Hara said the most important role of the MSC president is to bring together the 18 committees that make up the MSC. 
“The role of the president is important because internally you’ve got to bring those committees together to meet those programming goals and to help put on programs for the rest of campus,” O’Hara said. “And externally it’s working with other student leaders and campus administrators to address student needs on campus.” 
O’Hara said one thing he learned from current MSC president Zach Rozinsky’s tenure was how important it is for the MSC President to be invested in campus traditions. 
“The MSC itself is a living memorial to those who have died in past, present and future conflicts, and Zach [Rozinsky] has been very steadfast in being a redass Aggie, so that’s something I really want to continue within the organization,” O’Hara said. “And from a programming stance, from the kind of business side of the MSC, I want to see our committees continue to program to those campus needs and put on more and bigger programs than we have ever before.”