Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Bubba-tat’ raises more than $157,000

The local chapter of Habitat for Humanity raised more than $157,000 with its latest project “Bubba-tat.”
Bubba Moore, owner of TV Facts magazine, came up with the idea of living inside a glass house inside Post Oak Mall in order to raise money to build five homes for low-income families.
The Bryan-College Station Habitat for Humanity had been thinking of a new way to raise money for its cause a few months before Moore came up with this idea, Moore said.
“I was sitting at home one night and I was watching a reality show on a magician being locked in a glass house,” he said. “The idea had to go to Habitat for Humanity because it was a house and it was only natural to go to them.”
Moore moved into the house Nov. 3 and stayed 46 days. Moore said initially his goal was to raise $150,000. He agreed to stay in the house until he reached his goal.
“I did not mind being on display,” Moore said. “The intimidating part was not knowing when I would make it.”
Trish Burk, executive director of Habitat for Humanity, said the Bryan-College Station area supported Moore and the cause.
“The whole community came together and all saw Bubba’s sacrifice as a way they could provide homes for low-income families,” she said.Moore said his time in the glass house was not always fun.
His aunt and a close friend passed away while he was living in the house Moore’s wife Nancy said her husband sacrificed a lot of time with his family to raise the money.
“There was no time for him to grieve, and that was very devastating for him,” she said.
Burk said Habitat for Humanity continues to receive checks in the mail from people throughout Texas.
Bubba said the project was so different that people still want to support it.
“It so captured their imaginations that they are all still sending money,” he said.
Although Bubba reached his goal, he said the project was an experience that will not be forgotten by him or his family.
“I think that I got more out of it than the people who will benefit,” Bubba said. “My wife and I, after being married for 29 years, could not communicate with each other, and after going through with this we have been communicating so much better.”
After the sixth night, Moore said he had almost given up, but now looking back, it was the best Christmas that he ever had.
“It was a gift to me,” Moore said. “It blessed my family and changed my attitude about life.”