Burgoon earns spot in Shell Houston Open

Texas A&M freshman Bronson Burgoon shot a 4-under-par 68 at Cypresswood Golf Club’s Tradition Course on Monday to claim a spot in the Shell Houston Open, Houston’s annual PGA Tour stop.
Burgoon, who was defeated on the first playoff hole at the U.S. Open Sectional Qualifier in 2005, was determined to change his fate this time around.
“The experience was key, but at the same time, I wasn’t going home without the invitation,” Burgoon said. “I just kept grinding until things went my way.”
After eagling the first hole and posting 3-under par on his first six holes, Burgoon said he felt the effects of a busy spring golf schedule wearing on him. But using a rush of adrenaline, he was able to keep his round in tact.
“Basically, I was just trying to keep my momentum,” he said.
A five-foot putt for par sealed his spot in the playoff, which he won on the sixth hole.
Burgoon has experience with Redstone Golf Club, the home of the Shell Houston Open. One month ago, the Aggies played in the Hall of Fame Invitational on the same course. Burgoon finished in a tie for sixth after rounds of 73-72-75.
Burgoon said the Shell Houston Open will be the biggest event of his career. But even with a field that includes some of the top PGA Tour professionals, Burgoon is confident about his chances.
“(The goal) is to win,” Burgoon said. “I wouldn’t be playing if I wasn’t trying to win. I think I’m as good as anyone out there. If I play my game, I can do something special.”