Bush can’t ignore economy during war with Iraq

In response to March 21 mail calls:
This is getting out of hand. I full-heartedly support peoples’ right to protest, and you are right that those brave men and women of the past did fight for the right to protest, but for protesters to have the nerve to call themselves patriots, that is the real joke here, not these protests.
As far as the tax cuts go, I suppose it is hard to believe that something as complex as the U.S. government could possibly multi-task. It’s as if you think the functions of the government should just come to a halt and all attention should be paid to the war effort. The only problem is that if that were to happen, you would cry about us not dealing with anything else. Having nothing positive to say, all you do is criticize the government and its leaders while at the same time not offering any solutions. It’s not about tax cuts as you would make it seem, its about not liking the current administration. Justin Hill’s answer to everything: It is all the Republicans’ fault.
Finally, you asked what we are sacrificing here. That’s an excellent question, thankfully, the answer is very little. I have the luxury of sitting over here and so do you, because there are many hundreds of thousands of brave men and women willing to make the sacrifice for me. That may sound selfish, but its the same way things have always been, the many find reward in the sacrifice of the few. I have never served in another area, but many of my family members have, and many of my friends now are, and one question that they have never asked is ‘What did you sacrifice?’ They would rather just hear thank you and be on their way.
I fully support my president, my country, and the brave men and women of U.S. Armed Forces. I pray for them all, and hope for a speedy return. I do not live in fear for I know that they will protect us with their own lives if necessary. May God’s blessings be with them all.
Michael Carson
Class of 2002